Part 12

Matthew called a few times, but I ignored his calls. The whole situation ticked me off. Xavier, who liked to claim he was better than our parents, was acting just like them. Our parents always used people to their advantage, and that was what Xavier did to Matthew. Matthew was just too blind to see the cold-hearted truth. I loved my brother, and I did miss him. I was one of the few people he never tried to use. If he would've asked me to move back a week ago, I might have agreed.

     I sighed as the phone rang once again. I was almost going to turn it off when I noticed it wasn't Matthew calling this time. My heart began to beat a little faster as I answered the phone.

     "Are you tired of dining alone?" the familiar voice asked. "Are you looking for a friend to go on outings with? Then look no further than Seven's Rent-A-Friend Service. For just a small weekly payment, you will have a guarantee friend who is always available whenever you are. Act now and you will get a free bag of Honey Buddha Chips. Supplied are limited, so act now!"

     "Can I request certain characteristics for my 'friend'?" I asked.

     "What kind of characteristics were you thinking of?" Seven asked. "I can try to match you with who I believe is your perfect 'friend'."

     "Sense of humor is key," I began. "Maybe a bit quirky. Very intelligent. Likes to go to unusual places and do offbeat things."

     "Looks like you might have someone in mind already," Seven retorted. "I can't guarantee he will always be available to meet-up with."

     "That's a sham," I answered. "Guess I'll have to look for my 'friend' elsewhere."

     "No!" Seven exclaimed "Maybe we can work something out.

     "I don't want to pressure you," I said, "but I am picky about my 'friend' needs. My time is valuable."

     "How soon will you need this 'friend'?" Seven asked.

     "There is a party I'm going to in a week," I responded. "I don't really know anyone who will be there. I've only talked with them in this secret chatroom. It might be nice if a 'friend' could accompany me."

     "And what about after the party?" Seven asked.

     "I'm not sure," I admitted. "I haven't thought that far ahead."

     "Maybe your 'friend' can come up with some ideas," Seven informed me. "He will be with you for the whole day."

     "Are you sure it's a 'he' I'm looking for?" I asked.

     "I only have a 'he' available for that day," Seven replied, "but he can pick you up and take you wherever you want to go."

     I knew we were just playing around, but my face was beginning to feel hot. The thought of spending the whole day with him was tantalizing.

     "How will I know who he is?" I asked.

     "Trust me," Seven replied. "You will know. Look at the time. I have work to do, and you need to go to sleep. I will call you tomorrow."

     "Wait," I said quickly before Seven hung up. "Am I really safe here?"

     "Yes. Why?" Seven asked.

     "Xavier is worried our parents might try to target me," I answered.

     "As long as you're in that building, you are safe," Seven reassured me. "There are many security systems in place there, and most I put in myself. Besides myself, V, and the hacker, no one knows where you are living."