Chapter Nineteen

***Hunter's P.O.V***

"Harper" I screamed as the policeman dragged her out of the room.

I couldn't believe it.

After everything that horrible man who was her so called father did to her and then this is how it has ended for her. Who gave a shit if her dad lay there and bled to death? I certainly didn't. In fact, I was inwardly praying that the bastard was already dead but I was worried what this would result in for Harper. Everyone in the room knew how it looked; Jack laying there lifeless in a pool of his own blood and the gun firmly latched in Harper's grip.

We were all shocked when she pulled the trigger. I had no doubt we all wanted to beat her dad to a pulp but I definitely didn't think she had the guts to the pull the trigger. As much as he was a bastard to her, he was still her dad and I didn't think she could actually go through with it.

I was proud. That's the first thing I felt along with shock. Proud that she finally stood up for herself after all these years and shocked to the extent her final defence came to.

"Son, go down to the station with her. I'll go to the hospital with Jack" my dad suggested.

The other two officers looked back and forth between us and shock their heads. "We need to take you all with us for questioning since you appear to be witnesses of the crime. We will update you on Mr Stewart's condition as soon as we know ourselves" the officer spoke with a bored tone. It pissed me off. He didn't know what Harper was going through and he was already acting like he had the whole case figured out.

"It was self-defence" I blurted, "He was going to kill her! Tell them dad" I felt the anger rising in my voice despite trying to remain calm for Harper.

My dad nodded in agreement, 'He's right, he was about to kill her. We all saw it" my dad spoke exasperatedly running has hands through his hair.

"We're going to have to take you down to the station to discuss this" the officer said not giving a damn about us trying to protect Harper.

I huffed as I followed the officers out of the flat as they led me towards their police car. Being in the back of one of these cars for the first time in years felt weird. Since my mum was killed, I promised myself I would try my hardest to stay out of these vehicles. She had to pick me up from the station one too many times before and I wanted her looking down on me proud at the man I was becoming. Right now, I think she would be proud of me for trying to protect a young woman from harm.

My mind was racing with thoughts of what was going to happen to her. Would they lock her up? And if they did, how would she cope? She was an extremely strong person but I knew she was fragile too. Prison wasn't the place for someone like her. She had already been through a lot and needed to be somewhere that she could feel free.

As my mind raced, thoughts of my feelings for Harper entered my mind. From the moment I met her, I thought she was absolutely gorgeous. Gorgeous but a stuck up daddy's girl - I was wrong on that part. She was a closed a book and kept herself to herself. Knowing that Tom was her ex-boyfriend and she had dated Jamie made me think she was desperate for love. Though I soon learned these thoughts only entered my head due to the jealousy I felt. We had shared a few kisses whilst she was seeing Jamie and I knew she felt more of a spark with me than him. I wanted her to be mine and no one else's. It disgusted me what he did to her that night at Savannagh's flat but although I was disgusted, part of me was secretly glad as it meant she was one step closer to being mine.

That night shocked me as I didn't expect her secret to be so huge. For years her dad has been tormenting her and making her the object of his gain. It was utterly despicable how he treated her. His own daughter. She was so strong to go through what she did and remain such a positive, uplifting person on the surface but beneath the surface, I always had a feeling something was wrong. I was so glad that she had finally decided to speak out and tell people her story because there's no way that horrific man could get away with things any longer.

The minute she pulled the trigger today made me realise I was in love with her.

I had never been in love with anyone before but the way I felt when I looked at Harper made me feel emotions that were foreign to me. When I kissed her, sparks ignited within me that I never felt when I kissed anyone else. I thought it was a lie when people talked about sparks. I was foolish to think it was a lie when being with Harper ignited fire within me.

I needed to help save her from anymore damage her bastard of a father was going to cause. It scared me to think that because she acted in self-defence she could spend the rest of her years in prison. What if the police didn't believe that she was protecting herself and everyone else?

The police could twist things despite Harper having several witnesses to prove it was an act of protection. I hated thinking that she was going to end up locked in a cell, frightened and alone. The past week I had been holding her body close to my own every night as we slept so knowing that she could be completely isolated tonight scared me.

I am in love with her so I am going to get her out of that hell hole before it's too late.