thirteen

A new day began as the artistic rays of the sun showed. Catelyn can still hear Abbie's voice, the strumming of the ukulele, the moment she laid her eyes on her and everything from that one exceptional night of hers.

"Leaving too soon?" Catelyn's dad told her as she was rushing out to go to school.

"Had a performance to practice on." Catelyn answered, but there is no performance or anything. She just wanted to be early to spend more time with Abbie.

"Sit here, young lady, and eat some breakfast. Your mom Charlotte wouldn't me let you out with an empty stomach, you know that." Her Dad said, flipping through the pages of the fresh newspaper while holding a cup of coffee.

"What performance, Catey?" Her stepmother asked.

"Doesn't matter." Catelyn replied.

"Okay, finish your food now." Her stepmother said, sipping a bit of tea from her cup.

Catelyn took a bite or two and rushed to school. She wore her best smile upon entering the gates which she once considered hell. She greeted each and everyone that she passed through, humming the tune of yesterday's melody.

"My Carnation is happy. I like that." A familiar voice from behind said. She knew it was Abbie's. Catelyn smiled and turned her back to see Abbie.

"Hi!" She said in a delightful way, walking fast towards Abbie and giving her a warm, tight hug.

"Hello, sunshine!" Abbie hugged back.

"Thanks for yesterday, again."

"Oh, Catey, as I said, I'll be always here for you." Abbie said. "You know, I like it when you're happy. Always be happy. And oh, I see you're too early today? What happened to this place being a disaster?" she continued, as she offered to take Catelyn to a little walk.

"It was, until you happened." Catelyn said in a low voice.

"What?" Abbie asked while smiling.

"I said I just like being here. It wasn't a disaster at all." Catelyn said.

"This place will always be a disaster for me."

"Uh oh, no way. You better not think of that way."

"You do not tell me what to do, Catey!" Abbie said in a teasing manner.

"Fine. Whatever you say."

"This school isn't a disaster. This place isn't. You know what a disaster is? You jump-"

"You better not finish that line, Abbie. I learned my lesson already okayyyy!"

"I know, I'm sorry. I just like teasing my sunshine."

"I'll always be your sunshine."

"Oh, shoot! Let's hide!" Abbie said, not hearing what Catelyn said as she was grabbing Catelyn to run with her through the corridors heading to the nearest comfort room as fast as possible. Catelyn couldn't say anything but to follow Abbie's path. When they reached the comfort room, Abbie locked the door and gave a big sigh of relief.

"What was that for?" Catelyn asked, seeing herself and Abbie together locked up in the room.

"Just wanted to spend time with my sunshine." Abbie said while looking right directly to Catelyn's eyes.

"Inside in this room, really?" Catelyn told Abbie while giving off a bunch of laugh.

"I'm just kidding!" Abbie said. "I saw someone."

"Oh. Who?" Catelyn sighed in disappointment, but she made sure Abbie won't notice. "Your enemy, your crush or whatever?"

"My ex. I saw him. I had to hide." Abbie said.

"Why do you need to hide from him?" Catelyn asked.

"I still have feelings for him. I don't want to make it that obvious." Abbie said. "I'm sorry, I had to take you with me. Or else you'll think I'm a freak for running."

"Oh. That is why you told me you're in love. With him. Still." Catelyn's mind went silent for a moment. She thought she had the chance to shoot her shot. She thought about a lot of things. "Well, Okay. I just want to tell you that, you're making it obvious."

"I know, I suck. Haven't you fallen in love before?" Abbie asked Catelyn.

"No."

"But you told me you were."

"I am. I mean, I haven't had any relationship before. But I already saw my soulmate." Catelyn smiled with her head down.

"That's really sweet, Catelyn. I hope he'll notice you one day."

"Yeah... I hope so."

"He better not break your heart. Shoot your shot already!"

"I can't, Abbie. My soulmate is in love with someone else."

"How do you know?"