twenty-eight

"For real?"

"And I'm 18 now, too."

"That's insane!"

"I know.."

"I'm sorry I made you celebrate your birthday here."

"It's okay. Celebrating it with you is enough to me."

"That's sweet of you to say.."

The four cornered room was a silent scene and a boring spot for them to stay in. It was a creamy white coloured wall, for each side. There were no decorations at all, except for the curtains. It was also quite cold and they didn't realize it was already seven o'clock in the morning.

"Aren't you going to school today, Catelyn?"

"No, I'll stay with you."

"Would that be okay with your parents?"

"I'm eighteen, remember?"

"True. Are you sure you want to stay here?"

"Yes, why?"

"Nothing. I didn't expect you'd risk your time for me."

"Oh, Abbie, I'll risk everything for you."

Moments later, Abbie's mom woke up. She blinked and looked around the corners of the room, realizing she was on the hospital. She took a deep breath and sighed.

"Mom, you're awake!" Abbie rushed to her mother's side, giving her a hug.

"Go away." Her mother pushed her back.

Catelyn was quite confused about what happened but she chose not to mind since she's not part of it and neither it wasn't her business to be busy with. She continued to arrange the flowers that she bought.

"Who is she? What is she doing here?"

Catelyn knew that Abbie's mom was referring to her presence. She was about to say her name but she waited for Abbie to introduce her. She looked at Abbie's eyes and blinked nervously, giving off small sighs.

"She's Catelyn. She's my friend. I called her last night."

"For what reason?"

Catelyn knew something was off.

"To accompany me? Mom it was like two am when we got here."

"And you called a friend?"

"Well, yes I did."

Catelyn looked so confused and bit her lower lip.

"I can leave if you want..." she said, putting her hand on her pocket.

"No, Cates, stay here."

"Leave." Abbie's mom ordered.

Catelyn felt disregarded. She immediately left the room saying sorry to Abbie's mom. It was her first time meeting her mother and she wasn't expecting it to be in that order. She walked down the hall, trying not to mind what happened.

"Catelyn!" Abbie shouted from behind, running to chase Catelyn's phase.

Catelyn stopped walking and turned her way to see Abbie. Abbie rushed directly to Catelyn.

"Please, don't leave."

"But your Mom wants me to."

"No, please. Just stay, I don't want to be alone here."

"Want to go to another place instead?"

"Sure..."

"How about your mom?"

"She's going to be fine."

"You sure about that?"

"Yes."

"Well, let's go."

Catelyn held Abbie's hand.

"Where are we going?"

"My dad texted. I didn't tell them where I was going. I snuck out the house."

"Damn, I'm sorry.. are you in trouble?"

"No, I explained everything and he said it's okay."

"Wish I had parents like them."

"They can be your parents as well."

"How?"

"Just come with me."

Catelyn called a taxi under the sunny part of the road. She extended her arms as she could while holding Abbie on the other hand. She smiled at her hoping it would be a lot more comfort to what is Abbie is going through at the moment.

"I'm sorry about earlier, Catelyn."

"Oh it's nothing."

"Remember when I told you my life's sad?"

"Yes. I clearly do."

"It's because I have issues."

"I understand. I have issues too."

"We are twins."

"I know."

"Let's get going."

"Okay.."

Catelyn and Abbie walked in the room with nothing but darkness all over the place. Although the sun is shining bright outside, a single ray of light isn't visible. Abbie was kind of scared, but knowing Catelyn was beside her, she held on her arms tight and she knew she was safe.

"....Dad? Mom...?"

Catelyn called in a trembling voice, not knowing what is happening.