twenty-nine

Catelyn continued to walk, bringing Abbie with her. The place was in a strong black state, living them with no choice but use the flashlight coming from her mobile phone; the only way they could get out of the darkness. The room was also in absolute silence.

"Are you sure this is the place that we are supposed to go..?" Abbie asked, trembling.

"Yes I am, they texted me this address.." Catelyn replied.

For not so long, they heard a sound, popping out a thousand of shiny falling confetti all over Catelyn and Abbie from above. Both of them registered a shock on their faces as Catelyn's parents shouted that they're having a surprise for her 18th birthday. The light was visible, it opened the eyes of the room's set-up, having yellow balloons in each corner, birthday hats, classic party food and goods; and a poster for Catelyn's 18th birthday. Of course, vanilla ice cream is present.

"Happy Birthday, Catelyn!" Both of them greeted her, her father was bringing a cake and her stepmother was bringing a present for Catelyn.

"Thank you, Dad. Thank you, Mom." She hugged them both and smiled.

"We were planning to give you a much bigger party but we know you're not into that." Her father told her.

"Actually I insisted a big party, and your Dad disregarded it." Her stepmother said in a joking way.

"It's totally fine. I love what you did for my 18th. And by the way someone's here with me, who also turned eighteen today." Catelyn said.

Abbie stood right behind of Catelyn.

"You must be the friend.." Her stepmother teased.

"She certainly is.." Her father winked.

"I'm Abbie. It's nice to meet you." Abbie said. She's felt shy and the only way she covered it was to put on a smile.

"Yes, she's Abbie. My friend." Catelyn said.

"Welcome, Abbie. You're the first friend Catelyn brought home." Catelyn's father laughed a little.

"I'm honored to be the first one." Abbie said.

"Well it's a double celebration then! Let's eat, come on." Catelyn's stepmother insisted. "But before that, Catelyn, we have something for you." She continued.

"Or someone.." Her father said.

"Really? What or who is it?" Catelyn smiled.

"Of course, I won't miss the eighteenth birthday of my one and only!"

Catelyn turned her back to see who it was.

"Grandma!" She screamed, running towards her grandmother.

"Happy Birthday, dear Catelyn." Her grandmother hugged her.

"Thank you! I can't believe you're here. I missed you so much!"

"Of course I'm here. I've missed you too, dear."

"How are you? How's life? I missed our cottage."

"I'm okay, still breathing! And the cottage misses you too!"

"So let's eat? I'm quite hungry." Her stepmother said.

Everyone greeted one another. They sat on the dining table. Catelyn's father lit the cake, singing the Happy Birthday tune. As he was getting closer, everyone looked happy and sang along.

"Happy Birthday, Catelyn! Happy Birthday, Abbie!"

Both of them blew the lit candle off, giving their wishes. Catelyn's family clapped out of happiness and continued to eat afterwards.

It was indeed a memorable day for the both of them.

"Hey, Abbie. I have something to tell you."

"Is it about our plan? Is it about Lucas? Tell me."

"So what if I tell you it isn't about him? Or our plan? Would you still be interested?"

"Sure. Tell me."

"Well, it's been months now... since..."

"Since what?"

"...since..."

Catelyn thought and thought of it is the best time to confess her love. Unsure of what she is doing, her heart started to beat fast. She couldn't control her feelings anymore. But as she was referring to Abbie's response when she told her that she has something to say, she kept her mind and mouth shut.

It would be better if I keep it to myself. She told herself.

"Come on, just tell me Cates."

"Since Lucas hasn't dated."

"Really? How'd you know? I thought it wasn't about him."

"Well we had a friendly date, yeah that date I told you. And I asked him things, he asked me things and that's how I knew."

"That's great news! Ever asked him of I have a chance?"

"Not yet. But I will. But there's something that's bothering me."

"What?"

"When I told him that someone's making you happy, saying it was a man that's making you happy, she asked me something."

"What did he ask?"

"He's confused why I said 'man'."

"Did he tell you something else?"