seventeen

"So, Cates, what are you up to? Your stepmom told me that you're sick and can't go to school today."Catelyn's Dad approached her as she was writing on her journal.

"I was just faking my sickness, I just don't want to go to school today."Catelyn continued what she was doing. She wrote an endless line of words.

"Have you ever loved before, Dad?" Catelyn asked, leaving her pen on the top of her desk.

"I knew love the moment I held you in my arms, Catelyn." Her dad told her as he sat beside her.

"Did you love Mom?"

"Of course, I did." Her Dad paused for a bit. "But she didn't."

"What do you mean?"

"She's in love with another."

"Who?"

"I'd rather not say."

"Just tell me."

"Ann."

Catelyn didn't know that her father knew about Professor Ann.

"Who is Ann?"

"The love of her life. Look, Catelyn, I don't want to tell you this but.. our parents forced us to marry..."

She knew Professor Ann was telling the truth.

"... she confessed to me that she's in love with another the day before our marriage; it broke my heart, but I did marry her anyway..."

"... I didn't know what to do, I tried to act blind as if I didn't see them spending time together..."

"... I wanted to get rid of Ann, but I see that she's your mom's happiness..."

"... so I let her do the things that she wanted to. Love is mad..."

"... I didn't want to lose Charlotte. She's the love of my life; but..."

"... she found herself on Ann; she's happy with Ann and seeing her happy makes me happy..."

"... It was really hard in my situation..."

"Oh Dad, I'm sorry to hear that. But Mom picked you, didn't she?"

"All because of you, Catelyn. She left Ann because she's pregnant with you."

"I must really be a mess."

"Hey, don't say that. You came to us as a blessing. Charlotte learned to love me because of you..."

"... but I know that her heart is always with Ann..."

"... and I won't let you experience that..."

"... your stepmother told me about a thing that you confessed to her..."

"Are you mad about me Dad?"

"Why would I be? I'm actually proud of you. You're free to feel what you want to feel..."

"... and love who you want to love."

Catelyn's Dad gave her a hug. She knew it was the best hug that she received. She painted a big smile on her face.

"Hey, Catey!" Her stepmother called her attention as she was having the moment with her Dad. "Someone's here to visit you!"

"Really? Who is it? I wasn't expecting any visitors today."

"I don't really know! She said she wanted to see you!"

"Better not be your school teacher!" Her Dad said, letting Catelyn see her visitor.