When You're Having Fun

Dick's POV

My brain was working on overload trying to balance being next to Kristen and fighting off alien assassins. 

Yes, Kris and I fit like a glove. We have ever since our first mission together. The two of us were a well oiled machine, dodging whips and swords, except the glove was different this time. After watching her on the landing with Deathstroke and Darkseid, well, it gave me a cold shudder, to say the least. It's been a while since we were last side by side, but that clearly didn't hurt us in this fight.

I was currently sparring the blonde chick, who Kris occasionally calls a bitch when she's gets the chance. The two of us rotated in a circle, balancing all four furies like we had done this a million times.

We've only done it once, but the hyperbole still stands.

It was blur, moving slower and slower towards Deathstroke's ship. I thought we would've just been able to grapple our way out. But with that psychopath trying to whip my arm right off, we didn't stand a chance.

I ducked underneath a red boot and rolled to the left. Jabbing my stick right behind her knee, I flipped back to Kristen's side. We switched in time for me to catch the blonde's crooked blades. I twisted, bringing one blade around in an arc, and sending it flying across the tower.

My knee buckled. She had hit a pressure point. I was fast enough to grip her wrist and pull her over my shoulder. I was about to knock her out when a whip wrapped itself around my forearm.

I had enough time to mumble, "Damn it."

In the blink of an eye, the lady yanked on my arm and Kristen came down, slicing the whip in half. The thing went snapping back into the masked lady's face. She cried out.

This was our shot. Kris thought the same as we reached for each other. As she slipped her arm around my waist, I shot my grappling hook into the air. We soared over the center of the Tower. Above, red beams of light rocked the structure but I kept my focus on the ship ahead.

We both came tumbling to a stop. Behind us, the Furies were quick to respond. I was sure they were going to follow us and we could not afford that.

"The bombs," I grunted out. I took the detonator from my belt and tossed it to Kris. She snatched it out of the air and unlatched the ramp. It lowered itself at an agonizingly slow pace. "Why is this taking so long?"

Kristen reached up to pull herself onto the lowering landing. "Be patient, honey."

She disappeared into the ship. I watched as the Furies were closing in. "Kris? Dear? Now would be a great time to leave!"

There was no response. Blondie lifted her sword, she had recovered the other one I had tossed, and aimed for my head. I ducked behind the landing right before the sword buried itself into the ramp. I stared at its point centimeters to the left of my face.

I lifted myself up and over the ramp, dislodging the blade. Kristen came down to meet me. "I have the boomtube, we just need a distraction."

Too late, the Furies were on us. 

"Deathstroke had nothing useful in there?" I shouted, blocking a heavy fist from the Yellow Lady. 

"Did you want some booby traps or something?" Kristen's cackle rang through the air. She backflipped over Miss Whipper Snapper, and planted her boot into Greenie's teeth. 

Come on, brain, think of something, something!

I couldn't really take in my surroundings at the moment, but Blondie's blade felt heavy in my hand and all of a sudden the light went off in my head.