fighting thunder || yuna.kai

<<<

<<<

"stay the night!" kai's older sister insisted, glancing outside the window—it was pouring. "i think there's going to be a bad thunderstorm."

thunderstorm? they hadn't had one this bad in years, he realized as he checked on his phone. kai was nervous—he didn't like thunder.

"are you sure?" yuna asked. it was already past midnight because they had stayed up playing video games. "i can call my dad to pick me up."

"yes, i'm sure," she dismissed, "i'll get the guest room ready—if you decide to sleep there."

his sister smiled, making kai's face heat up. they had never slept in the same bed before.

"alright, then," yuna replied, not noticing the glare kai shot at his sister and texting her parents. "thanks."

<<<

yuna got comfortable in the guest room—pulling the soft covers over herself. a guest was supposed to sleep in the guest room right? that was what she thought—although she wouldn't have minded if kai had slept in her room; if it were the other way around.

her eyes were drifting closed, feeling heavy despite the clashes of thunder coming from outside. but she realized something:

was kai afraid of thunder? she wasn't sure.

but now that she thought of it, there was something keeping her from falling asleep. especially when she swore she heard a faint high pitched scream after another clash of thunder.

so she got up just to check up on him—to ease her mind before going to bed. but she also had her own pillow and covers tucked under her arm, just in case; there was a gut feeling.

and she was right because she found him awake, hugging his knees to his chest with his headphones on. another clash of thunder came.

he flinched, his head shooting up and meeting her half lidded gaze though the cracked door. he took off his headphones to hear.

"i'm scared of the thunder," she said, walking over and sitting next to him on his bed before plopping down.

another clash of thunder came, making kai jolt in surprise. yuna gave a very delayed response.

"woaahh that was super loud."

she adjusted the pillow under head before adjusting the covers, letting out a yawn. he paused for too long, nervous about sleeping next to her for the first time—but yuna yanked him down next to her, wrapping an arm around him. kai instantly relaxed in her touch.

"how did you know?" he asked quietly, shuffling to his side to see her face to face. his heart felt lighter.

"gut feeling," she replied, "plus, i heard you screech—like a seagull."

"i was surprised," he defended, "leave me alone."

she let out a soft laugh.

"it'll be fine," she assured, pushing the hair out of his face so she could see him clearer. "i'll fight the thunder for you."

at this point she was rambling—almost half asleep. her words made him smile.

"you would?" he asked, shuffling closer to her.

"only for you."

the fear disappeared as he watched her adjust the headphones back on his head and mouth a small 'go to sleep.'

they didn't know that kai's sister was outside the door, listening. she had woken up because of his scream and went to check on him but yuna beat her to it. they're so cute, she thought as she peeked in from the hallway.

in kai's dream, a girl was fighting the thunder for him.