what is love || yeji.yeonjun

(what is love - twice inspired)

<<<

unlike everyone else, yeji found it hard to admire him. like how everyone did. it was similar to flies and honey, only she would be one of the many flies. in all honesty, choi yeonjun really was the honey. a playboy too.

there wasn't a place where he wasn't welcome. he was kind, funny. if that was all to him, yeji might've been one of his friends. but it wasn't. she could tell that much.

it might've been her stellar observation skills, but she could tell that under all that sweetness, there was arrogance. others either didn't notice or didn't care.

to be frank, you could say yeji was the quiet girl—she was reserved and sat in the back of the class. she daydreamed a lot but picked things up quickly. although she didn't have as much friends as yeonjun and his friends had, they were the special kind—the kind that's rare.

unfortunately, she was a senior and in a different class than them—and she's too shy to talk to anyone else. that was what was going on the inside at least. what everyone saw on the outside was an untouchable, cold and mean girl that was like a flower on a high hill that no one could reach. yeji looked intimidating when she didn't smile, and she rarely does.

so when she gets partnered up with choi yeonjun for the literature project, she's disappointed. because she predicts he won't help at all.

"sorry," he said, not meaning it, "i made plans all this weekend. what about tuesday after school?"

yeji agreed, seeing no use in arguing.

<<<

tuesday came by, and yeji couldn't help but think the guidelines for the project were incredibly vague.

"the project will have to be an answer to the question: what is love?" their teacher, mr. park said, "it can be in any form: writing, art, or music—it doesn't matter. it just has to be obvious that it's an honest answer of what you feel about the question."

love. yeji didn't know much about love.

the library was quiet except for the low chatter of a few others. yeonjun sat across from her, not bothering to mask how boring this was. before he could fall asleep:

"have you ever been in love?"

he blinked a couple times before lifting his head from the table, resting his cheek on his hand.

"so you do speak," he chuckled. in response she narrowed her eyes. "but no. i haven't."

she frowned because she thought he was lying.

"i'm not lying," he said, "i really haven't."

"no one comes to mind? seriously—no one?"

she might've been the only one that didn't have, at least to a small degree, a crush on him. even the teachers had crushes on him. not to mention that he has dated more than half of the girls in the school.