harvey

i was trying to get to sleep at night, ever since this whole dad thing started i was terrified to sleep and i'd gotten so used to not sleeping or only sleep 2 maybe 3 hours. now that i'm safe i still can't fall asleep, it's like he's still here, like he's going to turn up suddenly and i can't fight back. i was turned on my side, facing the wall and i heard a noise. i wasn't sure what the noise was so i listened out for it again, and there it was again. i tossed over and looked at the bed across from me, miles'. he had his back turned to me, then i heard that noise again i realised what it was. he was crying. i'd never been good with people crying or being upset but i was going to attempt to help.

"hey" i whispered, i heard the slight crying stop and the scrambling to sort himself out. "hey" he replied, his voice was thick, the way it went when you'd just been crying, "are you okay" i asked him, there was a silence before he answered. "yeah" he didn't sound too sure. he turned to face me, i could see his face, his face was tear stained and he had red puffy eyes. "why are you speaking to me" he asked me "because you need it" i smiled. "i'm always here" i smiled. "so why don't you talk" he asked me, i guess i was just gonna get it all out. "because before, i was terrified that if i said anything something bad was going to happen so soon i realised it was just better not to talk" i told him. "so why are you here then and not in some wacky place for nutcases" he asked me, i laughed slightly. "because i'm not crazy, i've talked to police and they put me here" i told him. "you still didn't say why you are here" he told me, i sighed. "the reason i'm here is because my dad would abuse me, not just a smack here and there, he'd whack me off things or throw things at me" i told him. "oh" it was like he didn't know what else to say.

"why are you here" i asked him, there was a pause before he started speaking. "i'm not sure, i haven't even ever met my parents, i don't know what they look like or anything" miles told me, "i'd rather not know my dad" i said. "what about your mum" he asked me. "i don't know her, never met her" i stated. "i wonder who she is" i said. "thanks" he smiled. "for what" i asked, "for talking to me" he smiled. "it really helped" he said. "so why were you crying" i asked him, curiously. "because this guy at my school, he makes fun of me for being a foster kid" he told me. "have you tried standing up for yourself" i asked him, he nodded. "yeah but nothing works, he just keeps making fun of me" he sighed. "tell you what, tomorrow i'll come to your school and show him a lesson" i smiled. "but you don't talk, how are you gonna do that" he asked me. "trust me i will" i smiled.

we soon both fell asleep, i was actually really glad that i started talking to miles, he was super nice so i didn't see why someone was bullying him, but i think i needed to start talking, i felt comfortable here now and i didn't want to just not talk forever.