harvey

today was the day. the day i had to testify against my dad in court. the day that would either turn out to be the best or worst day of my life. i had woken up super early and kept tossing and turning until eventually i got up. i sat in the kitchen, i was drenched in sweat and my leg was shaking uncontrollably. "it's going to be okay harvey" lily tried to reassure me. i nodded and looked out the window to see if madison was here yet. "are you sure you don't want me to come" she asked me, i nodded. "i'm sure" i smiled, my voice was shaky with fear and anxiety.

madison arrived and her dad drove us to the courthouse. i sat there, i was sweating like crazy. i felt bad for madison as she was holding my hand and i could tell it was so sweaty. my leg was still shaking. i was my dad walk in, he was handcuffed and in an orange jumpsuit. i watched as he sat down a couple of rows in front of us, i felt so nervous. i felt kind of sick just by looking at him, it was as if everything was rushing back to me, every time he hurt me it was all coming back.

i was called up to testify against my dad. i sat on the seat and looked at my dad, he looked back at me and we made eye contact. he smiled a little, that god damn smile. i blanked out the rest of the interview, my brain was filled with thoughts of my dad and what he would do to me if he was found not guilty. i was let down from the stand and took my seat beside madison. i wiped my hands on my trousers, they were so sweaty but i just couldn't stop myself from sweating.

after a few more people testifying the jury left to go make a decision. we were allowed to wander until they were back. i decided not to. i sat there taking deep breaths, trying to stop myself from shaking. i noticed my dad standing up, he whispered something to his lawyer and started walking towards me. that sick feeling came back. my legs shook more frequently the closer he got. "hey" he smiled as he stood beside me, i kept my head down as i felt myself getting really warm. "harvey" he asked me, i still didn't look at him. i suddenly got a wave of sickness, "i'm gonna be sick" i told madison as i stood up and tried to walk to the bathroom. i got just outside the courtroom before throwing up, some people saw and they called over the janitors to help clean it up. "sorry" i apologised as they came over. "it's okay it happens all the time" the janitor smiled at me, i nodded. "are you that boy who's dad..." the janitor didn't finish before i nodded, i was helping him clean up the sick. "yeah" i nodded. "well it's okay, i've seen your case, the jury will definitely say guilty" he smiled. he went to go pat my back, i saw the hand and i flinched, trying to protect myself. "it's okay son, nobody's going to hurt you" he reassured me. i nodded.

we were all called back in and i sat back down next to madison, she hadn't left. "are you okay" she asks me, i nodded. i was less nervous now. i think it was talking to that janitor it made me feel less anxious. "did you reach a verdict" the judge asked the jury woman, who was like the head jury, "we did your honour" she nodded. "do you find adam mills guilty or not guilty of physical abuse on a child" the judge asked, "we find adam mills guilty" the woman said. i sighed in relief, i felt like this weight had been lifted from my chest. i felt free. i turned to madison and we both smiled, i sighed again as it just felt great.