52 | the one with a hint of revenge

🏁

The One With A Hint Of Revenge

"That's the best revenge of all: happiness. Nothing drives people crazier than seeing someone have a good fucking life."
— Chuck Palahniuk

A/N:

this chapter goes from one place to another and I apologize for that (you'll see what I mean). hope y'all like the chapter 🥰

make your guesses now!

A R I E L L E

I head into the bathroom, quickly washing my hands. The second I move to leave, something catches my eye in the mirror. It's some sort of reflection of light coming from the tiny crack that's exposed between the blinds and the window where moonlight is able to stream through.

I saunter to the window, confused. I try to nonchalantly peek through the spaces between the blinds without moving them and I swear that I can detect a slight bit of movement on the top of the hill at the back of Zayn's house.

"What are you doing?" Zayn's voice startles the absolute fuck out of me and I quite literally jump from it.

I clutch my chest as I spin to him and take a moment to breathe before I answer, "I think someone's watching the house."

"What?" He asks with a chuckle, thinking it's a joke.

"I'm serious." I try to peek again, but I can't see anything. "Humour me, okay?"

He nods his head, "Sure."

"I'm gonna' go to the kitchen. When I tell you, turn on the bathroom light for like, half a minute and then turn it off."

He doesn't seem to understand what I'm getting at but agrees to do it.

When I'm in the kitchen, I position myself so that I can easily stare through the open curtains. I make sure that I'm hidden amongst darkness and at an angle where nobody can see me and then I yell at Zayn to do what I asked.

Sure enough, the second he does so, there's movement on the hilltop and then I spot the familiar glare of light that could only mean one thing—someone is lying up there with binoculars watching us.

Fucking Hayes.

I can't explain how or why, but I just fucking know it's him.