Sandwich

Darryl's POV

After two hours, I figured I should wake up Zak. I felt worried about doing that as maybe he just wants to nap right now, but it was time for him to eat again. I couldn't let him skip a meal. He needed that.

I don't like waking anyone up. Most people prefer just laying down and resting. They want to stay in their dreams.

I wonder what Zak dreams about?

He seemed to be shaking a bit in his sleep. It must not be good.

"Muffin?" I said in a gentle voice, "Muffin it's time to wake up. It's been two hours."

I lean over and kiss his forehead and stroked his face a bit. Zak's eyes slowly fluttered open. He seemed a bit confused and scared.

"It's okay, Zak. Were you having a bad dream?" I asked.

"Yeah I was. Thank you for waking me up. I don't want to talk about it because it's trauma stuff," Zak said.

He instinctively grabbed for me and clung to me. He looked so tired and vulnerable. I held my muffin close to me.

"Thank you," He whispered again.

"Love you," I said.

Zak gave me a short but perfect kiss and stared into my eyes with love.

"Love you too."

I stayed like that with Zak for several minutes. He seemed upset, but at the same time very peaceful. Like he felt safe.

"Do you feel safe with me?" I asked.

"I don't know what safe feels like," Zak said, ".. But I think I'm learning what safe feels like with you."

For some reason that makes me start crying and almost sobbing. Zak didn't have any place where he felt safe. Not a single place. It was angering. However, at the same time it made me really happy. Zak will be safe with me forever. He's been through so much, yet he trusts me and knows I won't hurt him.

He feels safe with me.

Zak gets worried and immediately starts to comfort me. He rubs my back again.

"Did I say something wrong?" He asked with fear.

"No," I said with tears, "It just makes me so happy to hear that. That you have a safe place here."

Zak laughs and hugs me tight to him.

I eventually get up from the bed and ask Zak to follow me into the kitchen. He sits down at the table and looks somewhat nervous. He taps his fingers like drums against the table.

I stand over in the cooking area debating on what to give him. He needs more than peanut butter. Would a peanut butter and jelly sandwich be a good step up?

I decided to get out a butter knife and Skippy and jelly. I took two pieces from my loaf of bread and began to spread the peanut butter and jelly onto the slices. I put the peanut butter bread and the jelly bread together. I cut the sandwich in half, and carried it over to Zak who was still playing the drums on the table.

I sat it down and front of him and he looked down at it. He began to almost start crying when he saw it.

"What's wrong Zak?"

"People have so much good memories of these, Darryl. I never got that," He said and wiped his eyes.

"Well, it's never too late to get some good memories," I said.

"You're right. It doesn't have to be like this forever," He says.

Zak still sits there staring at it for a bit. He seemed a bit timid about eating the bread or maybe the jelly.

"Listen Zak, I want you to have this and I'll be so proud if you eat some of it. You don't have to be skinny. In fact, you need to start eating again to help save your life. And I want you alive. You'll be beautiful to me at any size as long as you're alive," I said.

Zak picked up one half with his hands now. He looked at me with anxiety. I nodded my head at him to tell him it was okay.

He slowly ate that half of the sandwich. He seemed to be enjoying the taste and freaking out at the same time. Zak was only able to eat that half until he was full.

"Yay Zak!" I said and quickly pulled him into a hug once I stood up from the table, "I'm so proud of you."

"It's hard," Zak says with tears.

"I know Muffin, but I love you and I am impressed you did it even though it's hard. Let's play some MunchyMc now to help get your mind off of it," I said.

Zak nodded and he seemed freaked out still. I kept reassuring him with my visible pride and with love. We sat down and played on my server together.

I was creating a new gamemode called Wool Wars. It was not released to the public yet, but I've been planning this for years. Zak and I as well as my friends played this new gamemode all together. I ended up winning all times, except one game Zak beat me.

After a bit of playing he seemed to forget his food anxiety. He was coping! It is amazing! Him being able to forget with Minecraft is incredible. I almost wanted to cry again as we played together.

Slowly, Zak and I will defeat the disorder in his life. I have hope.

I give him a kiss in between rounds and we all keep playing and laughing.