Chapter Five

Carol

My heart is still thumping violently after that encounter with that cute boy. I hope he did not see my trembling hands and shaking body when I was sitting beside him in the bus. I tried calming myself down with a few deep breaths as I approached the library. I started checking my hair to see if it's messy. Gosh, I hope he doesn't find me creepy. Thinking of him just makes me want to think of him more. Like a positive feedback loop. I guess I do have a crush on him. I climbed the staircase to the third floor and took a right into a wooden double door which is the entrance to the library.

I entered the library and chose a seat near the window. I took out my personal diary from my bag and swept all the dust away before flipping the pages. There are some torn pages from which I ripped off in the past. Opening this book reminds me of the terrible events that had happened in the past. I inhaled deeply as I try not to be consumed by the thoughts surrounding my mind. I got out my drawing essentials and started with the drawing from my point of view in the bus.

I draw the outline of the bus window, leaving an empty space for Andy. I need to make sure I don't mess it up again. With a heavy sigh, I started drawing his face. After a few strokes on the hair, my hands trembled in agony. I couldn't do this. I can't do this. I calmed my shaky hand while I erased his face and closed the book. It seems after years of recovering, I still could not control my hands.

I grimly put the notebook back into my bag and left the library. I don't really need to draw him. I mean, I don't really know him that much. I don't even know if we are considered friends. I got down to the second floor and it seems empty. I looked around and see the Office to the right and a few classrooms to my left. I was about to descend to floor one when I heard someone vilifying my name. "Hey, Tiny Carol" I recognize that voice. I turned around and looked at a group of girls. One of them was in the bully group yesterday in the cafeteria. The one who nudged me on my shoulders. "Where's the money kid?" She is accompanied by her sidekicks from yesterday.

I could make a run to the teacher's office since we are alone in the staircase. But if they went physical on me, I could not shout for help. "I am asking you again, where is the money?" I backed up to the wall as the three of them approached me. "Oh I'm sorry, I forgot you can't talk" Their laughs reverberated throughout the hallway. "Hey, let's start talking in notes shall we?" They talked with each other, obviously teasing me.

They whispered with each other before giving me an evil gaze. They came straight at me and pummelled me on the wall. I struggled as they restrained my arms and took my spectacles along with them as they ran away. I can't see. I struggled to stand as I walked forward and found the railing of the stairs with my hands. Give me back my spectacles. I refrained from crying. I do not want to let them have the fun of looking at me tearing up.

Someone please help. I can hear footsteps passing by me with murmurs directed at me. "What is she doing?" I think I look stupid standing on the staircase and leaning on the railing that someone actually commented on that. I just hear laughs coming from everywhere. Someone, please, help. I feel myself losing control again. The voices in my mind are getting louder and louder. This is why... this is why I told you, never to mess around with people. This is all your fault! My dad's voice got louder and louder... until it stopped. "Carol, hey. Carol" Someone patted me on the shoulders. "Hey, you alright?" It's Andy. I nodded. I almost cried. The one person that I thought who would never come actually came.

"You don't look alright, come. What happened?" He guided me down the staircase. I pointed at my eyes and my missing spectacles, hoping that he would get what I mean. "Is there something in your eyes, let me see" I shook my head. I pointed again at my eyes. "Your spectacles, did you drop it?" He looked around on the ground while everyone is passing by. I shook my head again.

He looked grim. "Did 'they' come to disturb you again?" He asked seriously. I didn't want to make matters worse so I did not answer him. "Did they?" He asked me again after a while. I wiped my tears and nodded my head. "Come with me" He took my hands with him as he stomped angrily on the floor. Everyone looked at us as the scene unfolded. This is the greatest humiliation for an introvert like me. I don't do well with the spotlight on me.

I followed along because I could not resist his strength and partly because I can't see what is in front of me. After we went away from the crowd, I retracted my hands back from his and we both stopped. I shook my head violently, indicating that I do not want the situation to get worse. "Carol, we need to get you your spectacles back." I took out my notebook and started scribbling something. My eyesight is bad but I hope he understands what I wrote. I do not want the situation to get worse.

"You don't understand Carol, Kelly has your spectacles and she will break it just to see you cry. She is that type of person" He replied instantly when he sees my note. I will just buy a new one, it is alright. Even though I live in poverty, I will somehow manage to afford another spectacle. I just do not want to make a scene at school.

"Oh hey, look who it is!" Kelly and her gang came back. Andy looked furious. He approached the gang. I have a feeling that he is about to punch them in their faces. "Give her back the spectacles" Andy demanded. Kelly looked suspicious with me hanging out with Andy before she came to the conclusion that we are both couples. "Oh so you're her boyfriend now?" She teased the both of us. Andy was about to take it by force before Kelly surrendered my spectacles. "Here, you weasels." Kelly said while looking at me with a grin.

The gang left for class while I am left alone with Andy in the hallway. "Here, take care of it next time" He wiped my face with tissues before putting the spectacles back on my face for me. "Can you see now?" He smiled. I smiled back at him and nodded. "Time to go to class, we are late" I took out a note to write Thank you as he sped to the class. I looked at the note before keeping it in my pocket. Maybe I will give him later.