Chapter Twenty Two

Carol

The streets are empty. The only light shining my way is the streetlight. The alleyway that I am walking past is filthy with all sorts of rubbish and defecation. Since there is no school bus for today, I had to walk my way to school, which is quite a distance if I do say so myself. I brought the phone with me just in case I need to call my mom through the house phone. But mostly because I want to make sure I can contact Andy if anything happens.

The time on the phone screen says 5:49 a.m. This is not my usual routine so I don't feel accustomed to it. My usual wake up time is 6:00 a.m for a normal school day. The morning routine usually involve reading some comics, especially Usagi related ones. Then I will go straight to the bathroom to check my teeth. I had to put on braces since last year. But ever since I started schooling in this new high school, I stopped putting on my braces.

I wonder if I look better with it or without it? Maybe I should ask Andy. I smiled at the thought of seeing him again in the camp. Even if it's a far journey. I got out from the dirty alleyway as I enter a familiar neighbourhood. Mom used to come to this neighbourhood every day, for reasons unknown. She would drive me in Dad's car and come to a specific house to give the owner something. I recognized that house every time with the appearance of a white dog in the front porch. I never asked her what it was that she gave, I shouldn't bother much anyways.

As I walked along the deserted neighbourhood, some dogs barked at me. I am not really fond of dogs much, I prefer cats. So I quickened my pace, for fear that they might come out from their leash and bite me. I yawn as I think of why the school would think of departing at 6:30a.m instead of later. Don't they see that people need their sleep? Plus, I slept at 12:30 a.m yesterday. I yawn again as I carry my heavy luggage in a leather bag.

I should have told them that I have no transport. I sighed. I hope I won't be late. After about a few minutes of walking, a fancy car stopped right next to me on the road. I stopped walking on the sideways as I try to see who is it behind that black tinted window. The person rolled down the window slightly and eyed me from up to down. I could not really see his face but I could see his grey hair. "You a prostitute?" His rugged voice tells me that he is around the age of 50. I looked at him startlingly.

"Wanna have a great time together? We can do lots of things you know?" I took a step back as I ignored him and continued my walk. He drove side by side with my walking pace, trying to get me to agree to go to his house. "You look hot babe" I quickened my pace. "Hey babe! I am talking to you. You're the only one on the streets, I could have just kidnapped you and raped you. Instead, I am paying you for your services." He said it nonchalantly.

My face flushed with anger. What is all these people trying to rape me? What am I? A sexual object? I turned to his car and kicked it. There is a shoeprint on this luxurious red car. "Hey!" He came out from his car and shut the door. "What did you do, you b****?" He shouted at me. "If you don't follow me back home, I will have to rape you here." I am startled by his anger. I am really afraid that he might do it. So I ran.

He shouted and followed after me. As I have said, I am not an athlete, so I could not run fast and far. I stopped running and started panting as I have set quite a far distance from him. I have to resort to walking, anything to put distance between me and that old man. He was about a 100 meters away from me as he started pulling down his pants. I exhaled quickly as I brought my heavy luggage along.

I turn right into an alleyway and met a dead end. My mind started thinking of ways to escape this predicament. There is a manhole at the end of the alleyway, but I it is locked from under. There is also a ladder to the side of the building but it is not extended downwards. I can try jumping to reach it but due to my short height I don't think I can make it. I am stuck there thinking of ways to escape as the old man entered the alleyway.