Chapter Eleven

Carol

Andy, how I wish you were here with me now. I tried recollecting the moments we had together for the past week as I sat down at the back of the bus alone with everyone throwing papers at each other in front. I looked at where Andy was sitting yesterday and all I could see was emptiness. I placed my hands there, hoping that somehow, his hand will reach out and hold mine. But of course, there was none.

His hands were rough yesterday, probably because of his punches. But I loved it. I feel safe and protected when we are holding hands. I did not know what made me suddenly want to hold his hands, maybe it was when he said that I am his girlfriend that I couldn't help it but express my emotions for him as well. And now, I want him more than anything. The image of his cute face stayed with me in my mind. And whenever I close my eyes and breathe deeply, I could see his face again. Although it is not as clear as the real Andy, but it is better than nothing. 

I retracted my hands from the seat and took out the second book of Usagi from my pink leather bag. I wiped the front cover with my hands, fearing that there are some dust particles sticking on it. Two weeks from now. I sighed heavily as I opened to the first page of the book and started reading. I tried smelling the pages of the book, hoping that Andy's smell will be there. I know I am weird. Thankfully no one bothers to look behind.

I gave up smelling the book as all I could smell is 'the smell of books' instead of Andy's. "Hey, is this place taken?" I did not realize someone walking up to me before she spoke out. It is a girl in my class. I recognize her from our dodgeball training session together. She looks a bit plump with a round face and long curly hair. Her face has freckles with a light pink makeup on her cheek.

"Hello?" She waved her hands in front of my face and smiled at me as I dozed off. I quickly came back to my senses and nodded my head whilst smiling at her. "Thank you very much" I uncomfortably opened my book as I do not like other people sitting next to me apart from Andy. But she looks like someone who gets bullied all the time like me. I guess we are called the Nerdy Girls Club.

"I am Madeleine, and I believe you are Carol right?" She has a beautiful angelic voice, and I wonder if she is a singer. I nodded my head still wondering how she knew my name. "I saw your name on the new student's registration list." That explains how she knows my name, but that revelation brought me more questions. I look dumbfounded as I try to understand what she is trying to say about the registration list thing. She cleared her throat. "Basically, I am the president of the student's affairs club." She smiled at me. I guess that's all my mind is able to interpret for now.

I did not know how to answer her so I smiled back and continued reading my book. "I believe you're a transfer student from Japan right?" I was immediately alerted by that statement. The truth is, I am not from Japan. Maybe my mom made that up just so that people would not know my true identity. I nodded my head lightly at that while smiling at her. "That's great, I love Japan especially their songs, it is just so emotional especially those from Aimer" She speaks as if she is advertising whatever band she is trying to advertise.

I nodded my head hesitantly because I have nothing else to talk to her about, I am not really familiar with songs and bands. "You should listen to her songs someday, I bet you will like it" I nodded my head, still wondering if she knows that I can't speak. I believe she knows because the tall and fierce maths teacher told the class about me before she sent me off to the back of the class beside the gang leader. I still hate her till this day. What's her problem with me anyways?

She continued talking to herself while I sat there reading my book. Can't she see I need some time alone? It was then I heard her singing one of the songs that I have heard before in my childhood but I was not really sure of the name of the song. I looked at her closely from top to bottom. She is as weird as me with her style of clothing and the way she speaks and sings to herself really creeps people out. Maybe we could be friends after all.

Andy

"Andy. Andy wake up, I made you breakfast. See? It's your favourite. Burgers and fries" Carol smiled at me as she wore a bear-patterned apron in the kitchen holding a plate of my favourite dish. I got out of the bed and reached for the plates. It was then I woke up to a cold sensation on my face. I just realized that Karl is pranking me again. "Bro, just trying out my new type of water, didn't mean to wake you up" He laughed at me as he ran back to his room. I cursed and followed him but I eventually slid and fell to a floor full of bars of soaps.

"Come on Karl, really?" I rubbed my forehead. "That was for your previous prank! I hope you did not forget!" He laughed again as he locked his door. I slowly stood up and went back to my bed, hoping that I would at least get another 10 minutes of that dream again before waking up. I want to know what happens next with Carol. It's only been a day since we last met and I am already missing her.

I miss her smell. I miss her notes. I miss her. Two weeks of living like that? I sighed heavily as I started thinking what I could do for these two weeks. Maybe I could search for how to be a good boyfriend on the internet, I can guarantee there are a lot of tips and tricks. Yes, I will do that. I smiled as I picture our first date, our first kiss and our first... getting along together. What am I even thinking, it's still too early. Well, boys will be boys after all.

"Andy, your breakfast is here! It's your favourite burgers and fries" I immediately woke up to that familiar de ja vu sentence coming from my mom. Am I still dreaming? I pinched my cheeks. "Ow" Apparently not. I walked down with my star-patterned pyjamas with both my parents sitting around the living room table to have their breakfast. "Good morning Andy" Father winked at me while showing his muscles.

My dad teaches me karate and taekwondo, so he is very proud that I applied it in saving someone's life. He didn't even care if I got detention because the reason implies that I did what a hero is supposed to do and that is saving lives, no matter the method. "You did great son" He laughed at himself as I chugged a spoonful of fries into my mouth and starting munching. My eyes still refused to fully open because I am still sleepy.

My mom on the other hand is different. She dislikes violence, just like Carol. "He should have gotten a four week detention for violence, Adam. Don't give him complacency at home" From the looks of it, she is going to ask me to do house chores while I am here. Maybe extra house chores because I hurt another individual. "Go easy honey, he did what he had to do" He smiled while he read a today's daily newspaper.

My mom continued munching on her bread with coffee as she reviewed her paperwork. Two weeks of this at home? With Karl pranking me every day with his science experiments? I sighed heavily as I finished my breakfast and went up to my bed. How I wish Carol was here with me. Maybe we could talk a little about Usagi, or maybe about her. Come to think of it, why did she even transfer to our school, especially from a country as far as Japan? Maybe I should ask her about this next time when we meet.

I got up to my feet and started surfing the internet for tips and tricks for the first date and how to groom properly as a man. After surfing for a great amount of time, I finally came across one that caught my eyes. Remember, women fall in love with words. The more words you use, the better chance you have with her on the first date. Go do you macho boy! Show her what you have under your sleeves and not under your underwear! Maybe I should try speaking more next time.

I wonder if Dad knows how to approach these type of stuffs. But if I asked my dad about it he will become suspicious. I sighed heavily. Maybe I should just do it myself. I slid back to my bed and started thinking about Carol. Two weeks from now, we will meet each other again. How I wish that you were here with me, talking about the past, present and the future. I sighed heavily as I went back to sleep, hoping to dream of Carol again.