Chapter Eighteen

Carol

"Andy, you're up for the competition, you ready for this?" I heard Coach Williams telling Andy and his basketball team as I finished my dodgeball practice in the gym. I see Andy nodding his head and talking something, but I am not near enough to hear it. I could visibly see the pink hickey on the side of his neck that I have given him yesterday from afar. Oh no... what if someone notices it? I could not think of the consequences. Would I blush more? Or would I...? I don't even want to think about it.

"Caroleee! Carolee! My sweet little Carolee!" Madeleine came behind me and hugged me. I slightly punched her arms so that she would let go of me. I take a deep breathe. I almost died from her embrace. "Did you hear? Our Basketball team is going against another team from another school! Ohhh, I am so excited!" My eyes are wide open as I take in the new revelation. Andy didn't tell me about this. Maybe he does not want me to worry? But I think he knows that if he told me, I would be there to support him. So what's up? Maybe he has a reason? Or maybe something else? I started overthinking. One of my biggest weakness. It was not until Madeleine shouted my name three times that I am snapped out of my thoughts.

"Are you listening? We have no practice today! It's all about looking at handsome boys playing basket with each other. It's fun! Don't ya think?" She finally let her arms go and I had to breathe deeply to replace the air that I have lost from my lungs.

The girls are allowed to sit at the benches to allow more space for the Basketball practice. Some of the girls became cheerleaders, one of them... Kelly. I hate her. As Coach Williams is about to start the match, I see Andy at the front, smiling at me. Just before I could return my smile, the match started. Throughout the match, I could only see Andy and his fluid movements, I never knew he was this good in Basketball.

I dozed off in a matter of minutes after nothing interesting is happening, only because no one is giving Andy the ball. "Carole! Carole wakey wakey! Ms. Corrinne has something to tell us" I opened my eyes wide as I see every girls are gathered in front of her. Madeleine and I quickly took our things and went to where the group is situated. I looked at the match and it seems Andy's team won, but this is just a practice between teammates, so technically speaking everyone is friendly here.

"Not bad Andy" I hear shouts coming from some of the substitute sitting on the benches as they bump their fists with Andy. He is also congratulated by Coach Williams. I feel proud of him myself even though I did not see the rest of the match. "Carol, Madeleine, quickly!" Ms. Corrinne shouted from a distance as we both ran there. When we reached, we immediately took our seats and panted.

"Alright, now that everyone is here, I guess I should explain about the camp in more details" Camp... what camp? "As you all know, there will be a camp next week in the National Stadium for our boys and their opposing basketball adversaries from Winston's High School. I am sure I have given the notice on the board behind the classroom" Ms.Corrinne continued. "Now what I really want to ask is who is up for it?" I give a note to Madeleine. What is she talking? "Don't know, no idea. Let's listen a little more" Madeleine replied

"I have specifically requested some members from the Red Crescent to be there just in case there are injuries. We very well know that there will be injuries especially if it's a fight between boys." Everyone nodded their head as they mumbled with each other who is going to go to the camp along with the boys to become their 'nurse' so to speak. "Alright no noise, quiet!" Everyone was quiet after that. Ms. Corrinne cleared her throat.

"I have chosen a few candidates to go for this camp because I want them to not only experience what is it like to be in a camp and also because they are from the Red Crescent society." She took out a paper from her bag as she cleared her throat. "I believe these are the potential candidates we have, I have discussed it with our Headmaster and he approves of it." My heart started beating louder as she started calling the names.

"Kelly. You will be along with the boys not only as their nurse, but also their cheerleader, so I hope you can learn a lot from there" She nodded her head excitingly. Definitely has a crush on someone in the Basketball team. "Next, Bailey. You will be helping out over there, just in case any injuries happen you need to be able to administer first aid." Bailey nods her head and fist bumps Kelly.

"Next, we have Jill." Everyone turned their heads facing each other asking the same question. Who's Jill? "Quiet now. Jill is someone from the opposing school. She is the president of the cheerleader club and the Red Crescent society as well, so her help is needed." Everyone quiet down as they understand the situation more clearly now.

"Second last, Madeleine." Madeleine jerked her head up. "Huh? Me?" She pointed her finger at herself. "Yes you, you will be there as well, just making sure everything goes out fine" Madeleine cheered even though no one seems to care. "Last but not least" Ms. Corrinne looked at me. "Carol. You're the last candidate for this camp. You will be the one of the nurses along with Kelly, Bailey and Madeleine" My mouth is agape as I try to understand what just happened.

"If there's any questions, you can ask later. We don't really have the time for questions now, you need to go back to your classes now. So out you go!" Ms. Corrinne dispersed us as me and Madeleine walked back to our class together. Andy and his team is staying in the gym for the Basketball practice, along with Kelly and her girls as the cheerleader.

"Carol!! Carol!! I am so happy for you! You can finally go to a camp!" I feel like she is teasing me with her words, but I understand what she is trying to say. I am not even sure if my parents allow me to go or not. I sighed heavily as I opened the classroom door. But... this is a good opportunity to spend time with Andy. Maybe I could be his personal cheerleader... you know... giving him another hickey... for his match. I smiled at the idea of that. I nodded my head. Maybe it will work out after all.