Chapter Fourteen

Carol

Today is the day. My face brightens with joy as I have waited for two long enduring weeks. It never seems to end until today. It was aggravating and annoying to wait for your precious one for such a long time. But as they say, love is patience. I nervously fixed my bun in front of the bedside mirror as my brother is snoring cutely. I need to look perfect today. I tried looking for any love handles but thankfully there is none. I have been exercising for the past two weeks now, just jogging in my neighbourhood so that I become skinnier.

I put on an elegant white blouse with a light pink knee length skirt mottled with white polka dots. The blouse that I ordered online is one size too big but it's okay. I think he likes girls with baggy clothes. I look at myself in the mirror and see a blanket covering my body. I planned to apply some makeup to mesmerize him today. A little toner on my face to start off, and a special cream specially made by my mom makes it even more refreshing. After the whole process of scrubbing off the blackheads and acne, I am finally pretty again. I look at the shining figure in front of me, and wonder if Andy will like it.

I blinked and smiled at my reflection as I packed my bags in the dawn of morning. Careful not to be too loud as to wake my brother up. "Carol?" My mom surprised me as I was beginning to pace down the wooden stairs. I turned around and I instantly see her surprising gaze on me. "You look pretty this morning." She walked past me down the stairs as she smiled genuinely for once. "Boyfriend... or crush?" She asked out of curiosity.

I ignored her question as I reached the living room after a dozen steps. She started making breakfast as I waited in the living room, reading the Usagi books. "Mommy knows a lot about it. You can come ask me anytime, if you need help" She shouted. I started feeling embarrassed. The dress and the makeup. Was it too obvious to suggest that I like Andy to the point that I would put a façade on my face?

I haven't been pretty for so long. I haven't felt... like myself for so long. I don't even know when the last time I dressed this eloquently was. It is as if I have a new revelation in my mind, a new change that propels me further through the good in life. But now, I feel like a girl again. A submissive and obedient girl who obeys her man. That is, if we were meant to be together. I examined the pink book that I just took out. Is that you? The boy that I once loved?

The bus arrived just as I had took my breakfast. I picked up my bag and sauntered casually across the lawn until I reached my front gate. I got through and boarded the rusty school bus. The atmosphere was lively and noisy but it all changed when I stepped inside the bus. Everyone turned their heads to look at me. I felt uncomfortable because I don't like being at the centre of attention but I am not dressing up for them, I am dressing up for Andy.

I did not make any eye contact with anyone as I walked behind to the back of the bus where I usually sit. Murmurs started everywhere around me as my perfume takes over the smell of the rusty irons and metals in the bus. I could hear people saying that I am pulchritudinous and that I dress up perfectly as if I am the bride that is about to be married to the groom. I made an accidental eye contact with Bailey and I could immediately see the jealousy and envy behind her gaze.

I smiled confidently as I pass by her. She never took her eyes off me until I finally sat at the back. The commotion and the paper war continued but there is always an occasional glance by someone. I truly feel like a princess today, a respected royalty. I looked out the window and think of what a day am I going to have with Andy, until someone interrupted my thoughts.

"Carol! Caaarolll!" Madeleine shouted my name as she ran towards me in the bus. "I am going to sit here with you as usual today, I brought my favourite song lyrics to school today, Look!" She showed me the lyrics written in Japanese. "You understand it don't you?" I smiled at her. Yes I understand. Her eyes shined with awe. "That's why we are friends" She started singing the lyrics softly. It was then the whole bus shrieked with joy