18.00

Malcolm Bright

I stared down at Paisley for what seemed like hours. She had no idea how chaotic life around her was right now. As O Carl Simonton once said:

'In the face of uncertainty, there is nothing wrong with hope'

All I could do in this moment was have hope. I hoped everything would be alright; Paisley would have a mother & I'd have-well my everything.

We were still waiting to hear back from the doctor, I refused to leave the nursery despite what Ms. Lisa & my mother were telling me. I hadn't put Paisley down since I'd picked her up, I wasn't going to let anybody else hold her until she's met her mother. I smiled slightly as I looked at Paisley sleeping, I couldn't believe she'd been living inside of Celine for the past 9 and ½ months.

It was a late night at the station and Celine was going through a case file with me so we could see if we were missing something. We were currently taking a break and she looked up at me.

Celine-And why do you look so tired?

Malcolm-We've only been here all night

Celine-Don't want to hear it, you have coffee and I don't

I chuckled and took a long sip of my coffee just for her. She rolled her eyes playfully at me and slid me the file.

Celine-Go through that one again

Malcolm-Yes ma'am

Someone cleared their throat, bringing me back to reality. I looked up seeing the doctor with the team and our parents behind him.

Malcolm: What is it?

I couldn't read his body language, or maybe I was just afraid too. Nobody said anything they all just looked at me.

Malcolm: Somebody say something

3 Years Later

Malcolm: Paisley we've got to go please eat your oatmeal

She crossed her arms and I sighed putting the spoon back into the bowl. I needed to think fast

Paisley: You said you'd sing the song

Malcolm: If I sing the first part of it will you finish your breakfast?

Paisley: And do the dance

Malcolm: Deal

I stood up and turned around as if I was getting myself in character. When I turned around, I started to move around like a duck while singing.

Malcolm: Five little ducks went out one day. Over the hill and far away. Mother duck said 'Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack' but only four little ducks came back.

I jumped in the air, landing in my final pose. She smiled while clapping, obviously amused. I smiled when she picked up the spoon and finished the last of her oatmeal.

Malcolm: Let's go get ready

I took her out of her highchair and got her ready so we could head to the precinct. Once we arrived, I sat there holding Paisley who was entertaining herself with my keys. I looked around the meeting room, I basically had every square inch of this room memorized by now.

Paisley: Where's mommy? I miss her

Malcolm: I miss mommy too

She let out a sigh and I did a spin in the chair causing her to giggle. It was a sound that made my heart overflow with love.