04. 𝑮𝒆𝒕 𝑰𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝑨 𝑭𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝑩𝒂𝒓 𝑭𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

JISUNG NEVER INTENDED to call Jaemin for help

JISUNG NEVER INTENDED to call Jaemin for help. He didn't want his help. But in that moment, his shaky hands gravitated towards his contact, well, practically the only contact in his phone other than his parents, who were the ones he needed to get away from, and he didn't even realize what he had done until he heard the soft words fall from his mouth.

"Jaemin . . ."

He quickly shut his mouth and ended the call, immediately regretting his decision.

How could he be so stupid? He's been trying to keep his life a secret since he dropped out of school—the abuse, the horrid thoughts, the fear . . .

Suddenly, loud bangs coming from his bedroom door distract him from his thoughts. His father's voice is laced in anger as he yells, "Open this door, you failure!" His pounding becomes even more incessant.

Jisung nearly whimpered. His father was extremely upset after checking his grades for the semester. Although he's home-schooled by his mother now, his father still expects straight A's. Clearly, the blonde boy failed that expectation—with one B and an A-. He continued to try to cover his ears, not wanting to hear his father's insults and threats from outside the door.

"Honey, calm yourself," His mother's voice is interrupted by a loud slap.

Jisung winces for his mother. His father's abuse begins with her trying to defend her son, but once she realizes it's no use, she turns on Jisung and joins his father to protect herself.

The boy forces himself the stand up and open the door, facing his father who might as well have steam coming out from the top of his head.

"About time, boy."

Jisung's eyes widen and his lip quivers as his father's hand comes in contact with his soft cheek, it's paleness turning into a light pink from the harsh impact. The blonde's fight or flight instincts kick in and he pushes his father away, and avoids his mother who tries coming closer to him—he doesn't know whether she wants to hit or comfort him—and races down the stairs.

Goodness, you've really done it now, Jisung. He thinks as he hears footsteps chasing after him, and can't help but hope that Jaemin is on his way.