01. 𝑾𝒊𝒔𝒉 𝑰 𝑴𝒂𝒚, 𝑾𝒊𝒔𝒉 𝑰 𝑴𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

   If you took one look at Jaemin Na, you wouldn't expect him to live in a neighborhood full of gangs and poverty

   If you took one look at Jaemin Na, you wouldn't expect him to live in a neighborhood full of gangs and poverty. You'd take one look at his mega-watt smile and pretty face and assume he lived somewhere in West Los Angeles.

   That isn't the case, though.

   Instead, Jaemin Na lives in Boyle Heights — not the roughest neighborhood but certainly not the greatest place. He goes to a shitty, cramped high school with a bunch of washed out kids and tired teachers who really have no will to teach. He's a minority in this neighborhood; Asian. To the students, he's considered weak and a pussy, and considering that he's on the dance team that mostly consist of girls, students either think he's a total twink or really just trying to get it on with his team members.

   Jaemin doesn't pay it much mind, though. Even if he doesn't understand why his parents insist to make ends meet and struggle to pay for a much too small house for him and his two other siblings in a quite dangerous neighborhood, he doesn't question it. He tries his best to enjoy each day as much as he can, even if his circumstances aren't the best.

   You could say that Jaemin is pure at heart. Maybe a little naïve, even.

   That's why as Jaemin was walking home from school and it began pouring down hot rain, he didn't yell at the sky or make a run for it. Instead, he closed his eyes and basked in the fresh smell of earth. He imagined that the plants were sighing in relief, and that the dead trees were magically starting to grow their pretty green leaves again. He imagined that the wild animals who hung around here were probably praising God for giving them the water that they were craving.

   "You should appreciate what the world gives you," Jaemin said aloud, albeit quiet, but aloud.

   He probably looked like a complete idiot just standing there, but he didn't care. This was Southern California we're talking about here. When was the last time they got rain? The rain shower was short, probably only lasted about fifteen minutes and even though it left Jaemin soaking and shivering (despite the rain being unfortunately hot), he was still happy.

   The boy continued his path home and was about to go past an alleyway that he always passed by, until he heard what he believed to be sniffling.

   Althroughout his high school years, he's always passed this alleyway. Sure, he knew that some sketchy shit was most likely happening in the dark corners of it, but never had he actually heard noise coming from it.