Chapter 1 (You Know What To Do)

Nash's POV

It was a typical Friday night. My mom and I were sitting on the couch, watching recordings of shows she missed while she was working. She works every single day from 6am to 1am except for weekends, so I hardly see her. We were watching "Dance Moms" our favorite.

"Abby Lee is such a bitch sometimes." My mom says shaking her head looking at the TV.

"Yeah I know. But look at these girls winning day after day. Whatever she does clearly works." I contest.

"Yeah but I'm sure if she didn't knock those girls down they would be a lot happier during class." My mom suggests.

"She only knocks them down to build them back up stronger." We both laugh at how stupid we probably sounded right now. The show just ended and now it's time to move on to our next show; "Dancing With The Stars." My mom and I both had this weird thing where we couldn't watch "Dance Moms" and then anything else, it had to be dancing with the stars. I sit down and fix my blue eyes on the screen as Bethany dances amazingly with Derek, I hope she wins.

"She has come so far in this competition." I exclaim.

"Yeah but I like Alphonso better." My mom speaks up after a second.

"Of course you do but that's only cause..." *SMASH* I'm cut off by something breaking near the front door. The sound is soon followed by the front door slamming shut. I know exactly what it is and I look at my mom with my eyes full of fear. Daddy's home. My father comes home drunk every so often and turns violent to me, Hayes, Skylynn and my mother. Hayes was at a friends house and Skylynn was at a sleepover, so obviously I would be the only target he could choose. This cycle has been going on for about a year and a half and has become routine to us, but this was the first time I was alone and it was happening.

"Nash run upstairs to your room and close the door. If you hear foot steps coming up the stairs you know what to do." My mom tells me pointing me to the stairscase as my father slowly came closer to our location.

"Mom I don't want this to happen anymore." I say on the verge of tears.

"It won't baby." She hugs me and pushes me towards the stairs.

I run upstairs and sprint down the hall to my room. I hear muffled shouting from my mom and father fighting. Probably escalating by the second. For a split second I cover my ear with my hands to block out the noise, but I needed to listen for footsteps. Soon I hear quick stomping up the stairs. I knew exactly what to do from here. I run across the room to my window, opening it. I jump to the tree branch that was growing outside my window, climb down and sprint across the street to my neighbors house. The summer air feels good but the running cancelled out anything good about the night. I pound on the door. It's late so I'm not putting too much faith in anyone answering. I wait for a second and nobody answers. This means I go to plan B. I run down the street to my other neighbors house and pound on their door. This house has never failed to let me in when I go to it in situations like this. The front door swing open and the boy infront of me is rubbing his eyes clearly just waking up with no shirt on. Shawn Mendes. He was one the few people who knew my secret and his parents were almost never home so I can almost always count on him to open the door for me.

"Hey Shawn." I say my voice cracking.

"Oh Nash, don't tell me it happened again." Shawn says looking down at me. I look at the floor and nod my head. Shawn steps to the side and lets me in his house like he has on many different occasions. He runs upstairs and I walk into living area and sit on his black leather couch with my head back against the back of the couch waiting for Shawn to come back down. I hear foot steps coming down the stairs and Shawn soon comes into the room where I was, now wearing a white t-shirt.