Chapter 4 (Bullet Dodging)

Mahogany's POV

I couldn't leave Nash in his current state of mind. He needs someone who he connects with, and since forever, I've always been the one who seems to connects with him the most; it's the little gay guy straight girl connection. I will be there when he needs to talk instead of him feeling alone and doing something stupid. Shawn seemed to understand that I was staying for Nash, but I doubt he knew the reasoning behind it. Jack and JJ are set up in the basement and I'm set up on the couch in the living room and Cam is on the other couch; not that he has much of a choice. Everyone retires to their room for the night and through the darkness, Cam and I start talking.

"Hey Mahogany, how long do you think Nash will stay here?" Cam asks me.

"Well he doesn't sound like he plans on going back anytime soon, and Shawn told me his parents are gone for a month and then leave for a month and a half 3 days after they come back. So Nash could flip between houses all summer if he felt so inclined." I explain to Cam.

"Nash wouldn't do that. He told me he feels like a burden when he stays somewhere." Cam tells me. I frown but he can't see me through the darkness.

"Changing the topic...what do you think is wrong with your leg?" I ask Cam.

"Well the pain is really in my heel and ankle so I don't know. I'll give it one more day and if it doesn't feel better by then I'll go to the hospital." Cam tells me.

I don't carry on the conversation I just stop talking and close my eyes and go to sleep.

Nash's POV
(IM WRITING THIS ON MY PHONE SO I CAN'T SLANT THE LETTERS. SO ILL JUST TELL YOU NASH OS DREAMING THIS NEXT PART).
I sitting in my room with Skylynn.

"Nash?" Skylynn asks me.

"What" I ask her.

"Why is Daddy so mean?" She looks at me with eyes that have no color. Just black dots.

"Well you see, Daddy doesn't like what I do. So he takes out his madness on people around him." I try to explain to her.

"So it's your fault!" She points her finger at me.

"What?" I ask her.

"You're the reason I have booboo's all over me." I look at her face as slowly more and more bruises and cuts show up out of nowhere.

"No not my fault!" I tell her.

"YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT!" She screams.

I shoot up in bed. A dream. Thank god, Skylynn didn't hate me, but there is something wrong. I feel it, I believe that dreams loosely predict the future, so something might happen with Skylynn. Stop Nash! You're talking like a crazy person. I walk downstairs and see Cam hopping to the door.

"Bro, does your foot still hurt?" I question him.

"Yeah, I'll go to the hospital if it doesn't feel better by tomorrow." He says turning and opening the door.

"Where you going?" I question.

"Home to change" he plainly states.

"I'll help you." before he can say no I scream into the living room, "I'M GOING WITH CAM TO GET CLOTHES!" and slam the door behind us.

"You know, I was the only one up." Cam say as I help him down the steps.

"Oops" is all I respond with.

"You don't need to help." Cam fights always trying to be independent.

"You expect to hop the whole way? Not happening!" I demand.

Cam sighs and let's me help him we're passing my house and I can't help but see it completely differently. I saw the house as if it had a big shadow cast over it. As we are about to cross where the driveway and a sidewalk cross, a white van pulls into the driveway. I stop and look at the vans side door open and Skylynn jumps out. What is she doing here? Jack told Hayes to call her and tell her to stay with the friend.

Cam looks at me "I can go the rest of the way" Cam detaches from me and I walk up to the drivers window. Skylynn hasn't seen me yet cause she running around with her friend in the yard, distracted.

"Hey I'm Nash, Skylynn's brother." I tell the woman in the car.

"Hi I'm Stacey. Skylynn had a sleepover with us yesterday." she points to her daughter and Skylynn in the yard.

"Oh. Um I'd hate to sound rude, but what are you guys doing here? Skylynn is supposed to stay the whole weekend." I ask her confused. She didn't seem offended by me being so direct.

"Well your mother called me late last night and said Skylynn should stay longer so here we are. She just needs to pick up clothes and we'll be on our way." Stacey tells me.

"No I don't think you fully understand. Skylynn can't go inside that house; it's not safe." I gave Stacey a serious look. I hope my father is asleep because otherwise he could be watching us.

"Why not?" Stacey questions.

"She can't go in that house no matter what. SKYLYNN COME HERE AND GET BACK IN THIS CAR!" I call to Skylynn and open the door.

"Nash!" Skylynn goes in for a hug but she needs to get out of here. Right now I step to the side and push her and her friend in and close the door. "Watch your feet" I say as the door closes.

I walk back to the driver side. "Nash, is something you need to tell me? Or someone I need to call?" Stacey asks. I think she knows, or at least has an idea.

"No, I'm working it out with my mother don't worry. But here take my number just in case you need it for some reason." I take out a pencil from my pocket. I always have a pencil in my pocket. And Stacey hands me a piece of paper.

"Okay thank you. But this all seems very strange." She gives me a look and I just stand there emotionless. "You sure I don't need to call anyone?"

Maybe CPS, I think. "Positive but you guys really should leave." I pester her.

"Alright. I'll tell you if something happens" And Stacey drives away. I breathe a breath of relief and make my way to Cam's house. I just dodged a massive bullet.