Chapter 1: The Meeting

Éponine's POV

I watch from the shadows as Marius and Cosette gaze lovingly at each other through the iron gate. The pain hits me hard and my chest suddenly hurts, as if my heart is really breaking. I rush away before anyone notices and escape to the quiet sanctuary of the alleyways.

The grey sky cries over me and although any other person would think the atmosphere to be dreary, I use my imagination and dream up a magical world in my mind. Closing my eyes, I try to see the pavement shining, the trees aglow with starlight. But this time, I can't do it. Before I can stop myself, tears rush down my dirty cheeks, mixing with the raindrops. A whimper escapes my throat. C'mon 'Ponine, you're stronger than this. I clench my fists. But my chest just hurts even more.

Enjolras' POV

I am on my way back from a late-ending class at the university when I hear a cry. I follow the sound into an alley and the sight that awaits me shocks me to the bone. A girl dressed in what is left of a green dress is crouching on the ground, her hands clasping her neck and chest. Like the rain, her tears drip onto the cold pavement and I can't help but feel sorry for her.

"I love him, but only on my own." the girl mutters to herself as she sobs. I listen, my presence oblivious to her.

Making my way down the alley, I call out to her. "Mademoiselle, are you alright? Do you require my assistance?"

Her head shoots up like a startled animal. I look into her brown eyes for the first time and I am suddenly overcome with a strange feeling. We both freeze for a couple of seconds, then she shyly pushes back her hair."Uh, y-yes, Monsieur," she stammers, but the way she answers tells me she is not alright. I kneel down next to her and, ignoring her hesitation, take her hands in mine.

"I can tell you are not. What's wrong, pray tell?" I ask gently.

Suddenly, she starts crying again and falls onto my chest. "He doesn't love me! And thanks to her, he never will!" she sobs. Smoothing her hair out of her face, I gently push her back to look at her. I notice that through the dirt and grime staining her face, she is the most beautiful person I have ever seen. I also spy a bruise carefully hidden by her hair, and numerous cuts along her cheekbones. What happened to this girl?

In my awe and shock, I do not realise that she has moved away from me."I apologise, Monsieur, I don't know what came over me. Thank you for your... kindness." the girl mumbles, standing up. I grab her arm and she turns around swiftly.

"Where are you going? Do you have a home to go to? Family or friends to help you?" I inquire. I nervously rake my hand through my hair.

"U-um, not exactly. But do not fret, I know my way around." She turns away but I stop her again.

"Please, mademoiselle... I insist. Spend the night at my place, even if it is just a single night. It is all I can do to make sure you are alright."

I gaze into her dark brown eyes and see something more than the tears that are welling up.

Éponine's POV

I look up at the handsome man before me. His golden hair is sparkling with droplets of rain and blue eyes are filled with worry and concern.

"Alright. But I promise I will not trouble you any further." I reluctantly agree. A small but breath-taking smile graces his face and this makes me smile too.

"Well, mademoiselle, this way." The smile fades away and I find myself yearning to see it again already.

We start walking and attempt to make small talk.