➸ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 29: see you tomorrow morning

✧༝┉┉┉┉˚*❋ ❋ ❋*˚┉┉┉┉༝✧

TY

"You like spaghetti?"

He shuts the door behind him, locking it as he walks into his room. Ryan's sitting on his bed, his shirt lifted up as he's observing his bandaged stomach. He swings his head around as he hears Ty's voice, and quickly sits up.

"I like anything," He replies, holding out his arms as Ty gives him the bowl of pasta, "Thanks so much. You really don't have to do this, man."

"I know, but I want to," Ty gives him a grin, shrugging before jumping onto the beanbag beside his small TV as he pulls out a chocolate bar from his pocket.

"You aren't eating dinner?" Ryan asks him through mouthfuls of pasta.

"Not hungry." He shakes his head, taking a bite of his snickers bar. "Anyways, Ryan. I got a lot of questions to ask you. I'm still kinda shocked about it all, if I'm being honest. I mean, God did this? I never thought I'd be saying this, but God is kinda an asshole."

"Tell me about it. But as much as I wish it weren't, it's all real. And I've had a good, fucking taste of it."

Ty sighs, a small glint of pity flickering over his eyes. "If you don't mind me asking... How was he like?"

Ryan knows immediately who he's talking about. He manages to crack a sad smile as he remembers all the cherished moments he had spent with his friend before he reached the end of his fate.

"He was a great guy," he says softly, "even with all that had been going on, he always managed to smile through it all. I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that."

He closes his eye. "He had more hope than I ever had. I could have saved him... But I didn't. And because me, I took that hope away from his hands and he died. I robbed him from his future. I robbed him from his freedom."

Ty stops chewing on his snack, and swallows as Ryan falls quiet, looking down as he picks at his food. He blinks, and a long minute passes before Ty murmurs benignly.

"My definition of hope is something that's worth driving you forward."

The words fall benevolently from his lips as he speaks; his tone lowering as he puts his hands in his lap. "I don't think Altrive's hope was driven to win, or to survive... I think his hope came from what he believed in. Like his morals.
" I promised myself I'd never give up' — You told me those were his last words, right? I'm not much of an analyst, but from what I got from that... I think it makes it clear that his hope came from somewhere deeper than just logic. It came from his heart."

He holds a hand to his chest. "Hope isn't something you're meant to believe to get what you want. Hope is a feeling that comes from what you believe in. I think when he died... If anything, he had felt relieved."

Ryan's left speechless.
He mumbles as he returns his sight to Ty. "... Wow."

"Huh," Ty shrugs, almost unable to believe what he had just said, "I never gave a pep talk before. That's cool. Uh, wanna change the subject?"

Ryan only manages to nod slowly; Ty chucks the rest of his wrapper into the bin beside the TV.

"Why are you even helping me, anyway?" Ryan eventually says, "I'm a murderer. I killed someone dude. I'm a bad person."

"Hey, killing someone doesn't make you a bad person."

There's a silence, before Ty gasps slowly. "Oh... Yeah, okay, maybe killing someone does make you a bad person. But you weren't given any other choice, right? I mean, I woulda done the same."