➸ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 37: you're nothing but a scammer

✧༝┉┉┉┉˚*❋ ❋ ❋*˚┉┉┉┉༝✧

NUMBER 15 — JSCHLATT

"Is there a reason why you wanted to wake me up at 8 in the morning?"

He raises an eyebrow at Cooper, whose walking solemnly in front of him with his hands tucked into the pockets of his tracks. He's wearing a backpack.
Knocking over a swaying branch in the way, he turns around to look at Schlatt.

For a split second, Schlatt had seen something in his eyes — something maniacal. But it flickered away too quickly for him to fully recognise what had happened.

At first, he was quite suspicious of this unplanned venture — in fact, he had even considered that maybe Cooper was going to try kill him.

But there's no way he would do that. He's just not that guy.

"Well, yeah," Cooper shrugs, snapping Schlatt out from his thoughts. The man tilts his head, signalling for Cooper to elaborate.

"While we were exploring yesterday, I actually found something." Cooper explains, pointing to the pathway ahead of them through the forest. "A boat. The shit's probably been there for a good decade or so, but it seems fixable from what I saw. I forgot to tell you guys about it since I didn't really think much of it then. But now that I'm thinking about it, it would be pretty helpful having a boat, huh? So been thinking we should fix it."
He gives a playful smirk. "Plus, you're smart, so you probably know how to fix it."

Something doesn't sit right with Schlatt as he says this. He opens his mouth, planning on saying 'never in my life have I ever fixed a 10-year-old abandoned boat, Cooper,' but decides to rethink things.

If he wants to fix it, wouldn't it have been easier to just wake up Techno too? Why him?

"How come you didn't wake up Technoblade as well?"

"You know, I heard you guys last night, right?" Cooper says casually. "The dude was crying. I was gonna wake up and do something but you seemed to have had it figured out, and I'd feel pretty shitty making him help us if he was depressed the other night. Give him a break, yeah?"

Schlatt nods. He does have a point. But he shouldn't let his guard down.

As the two boys walk, they reach an opening to the coast of a large river. Across the coast littered with dirt, sticks and bushes, there was an old and run-down boat tucked in between two trees. So Cooper was right — there really was a boat.

Cooper quickly rushes over to it, followed close behind by Schlatt; it's small engine at the back looks rusted, but operable. Same goes with the controls. It's small, but big enough to fit three people.

The only thing that seems to need fixing is the interior, which is dented with holes and cracks, albeit can be easily handled by a couple of planks. The two decide to split up and go find resources that could be used to patch up the damages. Cooper went left, while Schlatt went right; and around half an hour later, they both returned with plenty of supplies and got to work. As they returned back to the boat, Cooper opened his backpack and pulled out a long rope, before chucking it into the boat.

The two boys settled on repairing the boat on opposite ends — Cooper suggested he'll work on fixing the front deck, while Schlatt focused on filling in any holes on the behind. And things went smoothly for about twenty or so minutes.
Until Cooper fucked everything up.

As he lifts up a piece of plank, a boom erupts in his field of hearing. Schlatt feels his heart almost jump out his chest as the boat's engine abruptly roars to life, sending him falling down to the floor behind him.