➸ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 32: get the hell out.

✧༝┉┉┉┉˚*❋ ❋ ❋*˚┉┉┉┉༝✧

NUMBER 13 — JOKO

"Are you sure you want to do this? Now?"

The words slide uneasily out his throat, making his nerves get the better of him as he anxiously clutches his handgun in hand. The two boys are walking through the woods, under an archway of trees.

With his other hand, Joko's holding his phone in hand, reading the message he's been sent very carefully.

PLAYERS NUMBER 15 AND 1 ARE HEADING TOWARD THE MOUNTAINS, BESIDE A FOREST NEAR A LAKE. YOU'LL GET THERE IN 10.
SUGGESTED FORM OF PUNISHMENT: CLASSIC SHOOT TO THE HEAD.

"Of course!"

Travis gives an innocent smile at him, making him break from his glare at the phone; considering the situation they're in, he finds himself rather surprised at Travis' unusual enthusiasm. Travis tilts his head in confusion.

"You don't seem that happy about it, Joko."

"Happy?" Joko suggests, "well, I wouldn't say 'happy' is the right, uh.. Word."

"Are you scared?" Travis asks him. "I thought you were waiting for this day to come."

Joko pauses for a minute. "Yeah.. I was. But, uh. I just.. Didn't think it would be you who would offer the idea. That's all."

Travis gives a little hum at this, making Joko ponder whether Travis is either just in a good mood, or he's a psychopath. Though either option seems just as likely as the other.

"So we're sticking to the plan then, right?" Joko inquires, clearing his throat as he carefully puts his phone back into his pocket. "We've been in an alliance with Schlatt before, and we obviously know he's the weaker one out of the two. So I'll take him down first. Then once he's down, you'll help me take down Techno. Then you can finish him off, and get your ticket outta here. That's what we're doing, yeah?"

He has to remember to keep reminding himself that Travis is supposed to be the one to kill Techno, not him. And come to think of it.. Could this be the reason why Travis is so willing to kill Technoblade?

Because he'll be free if he does so?

No.. That doesn't really seem right. If he wanted freedom that badly, he would have killed him already.

Or would it be that perhaps whatever... I... did to him — Must have managed to convert him to thirst for blood?

"Yep." Travis gives him a thumbs-up. "Don't worry, I remember."

A skeptical "hmm" is all Joko replies with, before falling silent again; his mind already formulating a thousand ways how this plan could backfire.

What if Techno kills him? Or if he kills me? What if we're not strong enough, and they're extremely prepared? Not that they would benefit us since we'll be in the same area. Oh no, oh fuck.

He gives one last concerning glance at Travis through the crevices of his mask — Travis's stance is serene and unfazed as he's hopping over the leaves on the dirty pathway like a 10 year old without a care in the world. A few minutes pass by with just silence.

"Hey, Joko." Travis asks softly, breaking the quietness of the crackling, dried-up leaves and shuffling of their shoes. "Can you hold my hand?"

Being caught slightly off-guard by his request, he can definitely say it wasn't a question he was expecting.

He holds out his hand to Travis, and feels the smaller boy's hand cup inside his; and the two continue to walk together along the turf pathway scattered with fallen leaves until they finally reach their destination.