Overthinking

ALEX

I was running down the road, Marie's apartment in view. I could feel her fear also mixed with something I couldn't place. Tears fresh on my cheeks and the sounds of my boots smacking on the pavement.

I approached her apartment and flung the door open.

Marie was sitting on the floor just a tank and unbuttoned jean shorts with fresh bruises all over her, and that creep had his hands on her.

They both looked over at me, and he had a frightened look in his eyes.

I used all the force I had and flew him into the wall. Marie shrieked behind me as I stumbled towards him, fury clouding my vision I wrapped the invisible energy around his neck, holding him while he squirmed his life was in my hands, and I squeezed tighter. He was turning blue, and I felt a touch on my shoulder, and I flew the toucher back, hitting them against the opposite wall.

"ALEX PLEASE STOP."

Watching life leave his miserable body, a sense of calm washed over me as I watched him squirm.

"ALEX...please It's Maire he wasn't hurting me please stop this."

I heard her voice cut through the cloud shaking and scared...of...me. I dropped the hold and turned around. I heard him hit the ground, gasping for air, and Marie rushed past me to help fear and anger all over her face.

"GET OUT ALEX."

I turned back to Marie, who looked scared and pissed off crouching over him. I took a step towards her, and she flinched away from me.

"I'm sorry...I thought...I thought he was hurting you."

I took a step back.

"Just go."

I flinched at the harsh words spilling from my friend's mouth, and I backed away, heading for the door as I pulled it open and walked out.

I ran. I didn't know where I was going, but I kept on running for hours it seemed, stopping when I smelled the ocean, and I looked up finding myself on the boardwalk.

I fell to my knees, breathing in the smell of the grass, the salt, and the crisp morning air cooling my skin.

"What have I done."

I was muttering to myself, reflecting on the events of the day. So many questions. What did I do? Why did I like doing it? I am so confused, and at the same time, it feels like nothing has been more apparent. I stopped at a bar and ordered a glass of wine. I'm not sure how long I stayed, but when I ventured back outside, the sun was setting, and I was a little tipsy. I stumbled over to a bench overlooking the water and watched the sunset.

I had to send Marie a text I need to explain what happened.

Me: "Please, Marie, I'm so sorry. I don't know what happened. I saw him leaning over you and the bruises. I'm sorry."

Fifteen minutes went by, and she didn't respond understandably. I need to give her time.

"What am I going to do...shes my best friend what is wrong with me."

I absentmindedly started picking at the skin around my fingers when I felt him approach.

"What happened?"

My eyes drifted up on Kylo Ren as he took a seat next to me.

"I did something horrible."

He studied my face but gave nothing away.

I felt the sting in my head as he penetrated my mind. I let him in seeing what happened.

"You didn't do anything wrong I would have done the same. You were protecting your friend."