Controlled

MARIE 

I laid next to Alex while she was sound asleep, thinking about the conversation I had with the woman when Alex left me alone with her...

****

I took a seat in front of her, studying her carefully before asking my questions.

"Why did you give me that ring?" I asked her, "Why did you choose me to save Bill? What makes you think I can do this?"

She looked at me with a smile, "I did not choose you, but the ring did. If the ring did not want to choose you, it would not have fit your finger."

I looked at her, confused.

"I could sense young Bill had the demon attached to him," she explained, "Which is why I offered his ring, the one you have around your neck. You see, my family made these rings. We made these two rings as a pair. I kept the other ring until it would choose a partner, and it chose you."

I touched Bill's ring, thinking about him.

"You and your friend have power between you two," she said, "Yes, you both found wonderful people to be with romantically, but the bond between you too is also what both your heart's desire. Which makes it very powerful."

"You spoke about light and darkness being unstoppable..." I said, "Does this mean...she's meant to go with him?"

"Yes, my dear," the woman replied, "You represent the light, she represents the dark. This makes a powerful force between you, too, as long as you stay united in your hearts."

I sat back in the chair, completely amazed.

"Bill needs me...but for me to be my strongest, I need her."

"The key to defeating the demon is to use your bond," she said, "Love each other, and the fear will diminish. Your bond can survive galaxies apart. Because true love has no distance."

I couldn't believe it. Bill was my heart's desire, but so was Alex. We are stronger with Kylo and Bill. Suddenly, my fear of her leaving me began to fade away. I now fully understood that we had to be opposites, light, and dark.

"My dear, embrace the life the ring chose you to have," the woman said, smiling. "Save your partner, and never stop loving your friend."

"Thank you," I said to her, smiling back. I stood up and walked out of the tent.

"Wait, If I die..." I began to say, but when I turned around, she disappeared.

I never saw her again.

****

Watching Alex sleep peacefully made me think about all this. Our love for each other was going to survive galaxies apart. As long as we had that, we were going to be okay.

I felt the need to get a glass of water, so I snuck out of bed and went into the kitchen.

To my surprise, Kylo was already there.

"You're up," I said to him.

He smirked, "Couldn't sleep. I was hoping Alex would wake up so I could talk to her. I don't know what her deal is."

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

He shrugged, "She seems like she doesn't want to go with me anymore."

I thought for a moment, "Let's go talk on the balcony."

We walked together out on the balcony, overlooking the area we were in. It was a beautiful night. The moon and stars shine brightly.