Not Too Bad

Not Too Bad

I was excited and hyper. High school. I will officially be a freshman by this time tomorrow. And guess what! I have like every class with Vlad! Well not all of them, but most! Because, of course, Vlad wouldn't do choir. And also Joss was here.

And they ate all my cake.

Still, I was glad to have him around again. Since I was five he was always by my side since Cecile died. He once told me that since he always protected her he needed to protect someone, therefore me. So for me to be apart from him was hard but also felt secretly good. But I missed him, and now he's back.

"Whoa, calm down Mina. High school can't be that different from Junior High." Joss told me.

"Maybe for a guy! I am super excited! But I'm also nervous! What if the teachers suck? Oh and what about homework? What if my choir teacher hates me like that evil witch in Florida?"

"That lady was crazy. But just relax, Mina." Vlad's front door opened and Vlad walked out and up to us.

"Vlad!" I tackled him, he went rigid against me.

"Mina!" He said in the same as me. "What's the matter with her?" He asked as I jumped out of his arms and hopped up to Joss.

"She's excited about freshman year." Henry explained. "And she had cake." I saw Vlad looking at me and my two cousins. Yeah, I knew none of us looked much alike. Joss has warm tan skin and blond hair; he was perfect for California, my most recent old home. Henry matched him in hair, yet was not as tan. Yet Henry is still darker than I am, and I have dark chocolate hair. Other than facial structures and the classic family grins, we didn't have much in common in looks I think.

"Hey." Vlad said to Henry in hello. I looked from Joss to Henry to Vlad. Yet when I met Vlad's eyes I saw he was looking at me. I went red and turned back to Joss.

"Hey, this is my other cousin Joss." I laughed when he said other. Vlad probably thinks he has like twenty million cousins I bet! We then turned and walked to the school. The building was huge, old, and fearsome. Henry had told me that it was once an Old Catholic church, way back when. But now it was my new high school. We stood in a row, staring up at the titanic building of stone.

"Henry!" Carrie Anderson, a girl whose name was 'the girl' just last year, called to my cousin. Henry smiled at us in a sheepish way and hurried off toward the group.

"Be right back, guys."

"Henry says you followed Mina from Cali." Vlad turned to Joss. My cousin nodded as he stood closer to me than Vlad. We were both quiet; relatively shy teenagers who normally stayed within a small group until a year or two. Though, most of the time we never even got that far.

"He tells me you suck at video games." We all started to laugh.

"He's a funny guy." Vlad agreed and chuckled some more.

"Popular, too, it seems." Joss looked on at Henry; I fixed my eyes on the ground between Vlad and me. I saw from the corner of my eye that Vlad turned to Joss.

"I assumed all McMillans were popular." Joss shook his head and was about to speak before I broke in.

"Hence why I'm not a McMillan." I shrugged; Vlad's expression went sympathetic with a hint of sorrow. Joss took it the way I meant it and chuckled at the comment. My eyes flickered from Joss to Vlad and were glued when I met his gaze on mine.

"I didn't mean it that way, Mina." He muttered in an apologetic tone. And as strange as it sounds I really almost felt my eyes glaze over before I shook my head to rid the feeling away.