Red Velvet

Red Velvet

We have been back in school for a week now. The stares from the male population have, if anything increased over the week. It bothered me because I only cared about Vlad. And the more guys who stared, the less Vlad would look at them and therefore me as well.

So when I got the mumbled invitation to come to his house for dinner I was shocked. He explained that Nelly wanted him to invite me over, but I felt he did also. And what made it all the better, is there would be no Henry.

I had made the deal that I would only go if I could bake the desert. He agreed, as I knew he would because he loves my baking, and I was to go over at seven for lasagna.

Now, at five 'til seven, I'm walking up to Vlad's house. I wore my favorite jeans and a black button up shirt, which I kept unbuttoned, over my red tank top that matched the red of my newly changed hair. I held a container of the cake I made earlier as I knocked on the door.

Vlad answered the door and I saw he was wearing the Vampires Suck tee shirt that I loved so much. I felt my eyes haze over as I saw him in the dim light from inside the house. He smiled at me and pulled me inside, my breath latched and my heart jumped. Nelly was fussing over the food in the kitchen and Vlad sat me down right next to him on the table. The hand he took to lead me inside he didn't release until a while after sitting down. Yet, sadly, I had to part from his hold.

"I'm going to put this in the kitchen." I told him as I stood to put my cake inside with Nelly. I checked to make sure there was no way for Vlad to hear us as he set the table when I spoke to Nelly. "Nelly, I put blood in the cake."

"What?" Nelly asked in slight shock. "Why would you do that?"

"It's Vlad's favorite cake. I wanted to make it special and edible for me too."

"Okay..." She said skeptically. "Whatever you say, Mina, dear." I thanked her and went back out to sit with Vlad. I saw him watching me intently across the table as I circled around to sit by him. I gripped his shoulders gentle and softly whispered to his ear.

"I know you'll like the desert I made." He turned toward me as I sat down.

"What is it?" He asked, I smiled.

"Your favorite, don't worry." He smiled and I felt content with just staring at him for the rest of the night. I was very glad Henry didn't come. Speaking of my cousin. "Hey Vlad, why wasn't Henry invited?"

"You want him here?" He asked and I wasn't sure what his tone meant.

"No, no. And I didn't mean it like that. It's just... well it is rare that you invite me over without him too."

"I just wanted to be with only you tonight." I blushed deep red but caught myself as he started to stare at the table.

"I'm sorry. I know you're hungry, I shouldn't have done that."

"You're fine. I shouldn't have said that, I knew you'd blush. It was my fault." He looked down at the table and I reached out a touched his hand. I felt him jump slightly at my touch, like how I used to when we first met and I still sometimes do.

"It doesn't bother me. You can make me blush whenever you want. You've been doing it for two years now." His eyes met mine and I felt just about ready to lose all control. We both jumped when Nelly walked in and both are hands flew away from each other. I blushed a furious red but it was forgotten when I smelled the food. Lasagna was the best food to hide blood in, one of them at least. And even though Vlad thought she made it for me to be comfortable around Vlad while he ate, she did it so Vlad wouldn't know that I was eating the same as he was.