Lights (Bright Enough To Let Go)

The lights in Lena's bedroom were off.
The moon was brightening beautifully and sending fragile light beams through the window, passing softly on Kara's closed eyes every time she rolled on her side and faced it.

Her movements were fast, rolling from side to side on her back and fighting the blanket that she shared with Lena.
Yet, not her hands nor legs that were spreading out aggressively managed to wake Lena up.
She was kicking lightly on the mattress and letting out loud and panting groans. Her pillow was covered with cold sweat and her nails were thrust in the bedsheets.

Some tears were rolling on her flushed cheeks and the Kryptonian slammed her head on her pillow.

"No!"

She spoiled out of breath and sat up quickly.
She looked aside, panting and shaking. Lena was sleeping peacefully right next to her, moving a bit farther because of the noise.

There was no point in waking her up and worrying her for what seemed to only be a bad dream.

The blonde girl rolled quietly out of the bed and stepped out of the brunette's bedroom. It was still dark outside and the cold floor and the shivering silence in the house, made her short walk to the kitchen very lonely. She would've probably stopped in the bathroom to wash her face if there wasn't for what happened the last time she had to look at a mirror.
Instead, she took a glass of cold water from the kitchen and drank it, gazing at the stairs to her left.
Maybe some fresh air was what she needed right then, so barefoot and tired, she walked up the stairs to the second floor.

To her surprise, the second floor was much smaller than the first one. It continued only one room, Lena's study.
Kara has never been there before. She saw Lena's desk, overflowing with paperwork and one laptop, in front of a chair. She also saw a small cupboard and a safe that was almost impossible to recognize because of the darkness and mess that commanded the room.

Despite the mystery hidden in the room's uncanny purpose and appearance, the things in it weren't as interesting to Kara as the display window that led to the balcony behind it.
She passed the desk quickly and opened it with curiosity.
If she'd lingered just a bit more at the papers, she would've been able to see Lena's work with William, which oddly, the brunette haven't gotten rid of yet.
But she continued walking, skipping the pleasure.

The night wasn't a cold one, but she could still feel the wind blowing in her face as she stepped out to the large balcony.
She was amazed to find a big pool right in the middle with two lounge chairs to its side.
The balcony was clean and the water in the pool seemed so clear and pure.
Kara clicked a switch on the wall and little lamps lit all around the pool and showed on the plants that decorated the balcony.
A second switch turned on more light fixtures that lighted up the entire place.
It was beautiful.

The Kryptonian looked at the skies. The stars were countless and the city was quiet.
Something about her wanted to see more. She had missed flying so much. In fact, she hadn't flown in weeks, months, now.
Alex wouldn't let her...
But all she wanted to do was to feel the wind, blowing in her face again, wiping her tears and allowing her smile to take its rightful place on her face. She wanted to feel so light and free again, to move in the air, just like she used to.

Maybe... just one quick trip... just for a moment... It wouldn't do any harm, would it?

She took a few steps back and pushed herself towards the sky, separating herself from the ground and taking off, light as a feather.