Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Trapped

Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 20:30 PHT

It has been 30 minutes since Javi left. I must admit that I somehow feel bad, kasi hindi siya nakakain ng dinner kahit na may gift siya sa akin. About the gift, I put it inside my closet, sa pinaka dulo para hindi ako ma-tempt tignan ang loob.

Javi has always been thoughtful. Earlier, I thought he would not come. I even thought that maybe he forgot my birthday. I also knew he was busy with his own thing; like he always was. He used to run errands back when we were still together. I used to let him go because I always thought that there was more important thing than to have a romantic relationship at this age. I mean, we were still young and we still needed to know things we were yet to discover about ourselves.

Sigh... I looked around my room and heaved a sigh. This place felt empty right now. I could feel his presence over here because he used to stay here before when he visited me.

Sigh... I wanted to be alone because I was not sure what to think, do and say when someone asks me about how the conversation with Javi went; but I did not want to just disappear in my own birthday celebration to worry everyone, so I decided to go outside my room, going down to the first floor to go to the backyard.

Kanina akala ko maiiyak na naman ako noong umalis siya pero parang namanhid ako. Bigla na lang kasing bumalik sa isip ko lahat ng iniyak ko last April. Every time I think about it, it is as if I am going back to that one morning when I receive the message from Ramona.

Ramona.

I gulped while I thought of her name. Until now, I can taste the bitterness when I say or think of her name. My face instantly grimaced with the idea of her; disgust of her, obviously.

"Anak, nasaan na si Javi?" My Dad asked me when I stepped my both feet on the foyer to the kitchen. He was holding a bottle of wine and was about to go to his study room. I blinked to clearly see his eyes behind his eyeglasses.

"Umuwi na po," I said, flatly. I did not want to talk about it so I immediately changed the topic. "Mag-iinuman po ba kayo nila tito sa labas mamaya?"

My Dad's eyebrows furrowed, from I thought he sensed that something went wrong. He shook his head and said, "No, I have work tomorrow."

"I'll just go to my cousins, Dad."

"Anak, please be okay..." he uttered when I passed by him. I stopped behind him, swallowing the lump in my throat. I was not aware that my face was still frowning.

"I'm okay, Dad. Thank you," I said and did my best to soften my expression. He faced me and gave me the warmest hug I have ever received today. Suddenly, all the sadness I felt slowly melt away through my father's hug.

"You're always welcome. One day, you'll understand that everything that is happening always has a reason, whether it serves as a life lesson or a lifetime experience," he mumbled. I returned the warm hug to him and a genuine chuckle escaped my mouth.

"One day, yes. Thank you, Dad. Always." We pulled out of the hug and he messed my hair while timidly smiling at me.

Now, I know that even Dad loves Javi, he still emphasizes my heart.

———

"Hoy, kanina ka pa tahimik dyan!" Sofia elbowed me. Kanina pa kami nag-iinuman, and it was almost midnight. After Dad and I had a small talk, dumiretso agad ako sa isang malaking table. Lahat ng pinsan kong babae nandon pwera sa mga bata. Si Celine at Niña kasi umuwi na kasama ang mga boyfriend nila, pati ang ibang mga bisita ay umuwi na rin. Family members na lang ang naiwan.