Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Flushed

Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 09:30 PHT

    I woke up at around 8:30 in the morning, because my cousins had bid me a good bye. I didn't face them, I just let them go away from my room before I got my butt off the bed.

    I saw myself on the mirror in my own shower room. Believe me. I have cursed myself multiple times when I noticed the severity of my swollen eyes.

    Gaga ka, iyak iyak ka pa kasi. I mentally smacked my own head.

    "Shit. Magang maga.." I frowned at my reflection. I looked extremely awful. My hair is a mess. My shirt smells alcohol, the combination of beer, bourbon and scotch.

    Eww! I even forgot to brush my teeth last night and to change my clothes! This is unbearable!

    I got the nauseous feeling of disgust from how I look. Partly, I had to release the drink I drunk last night so I puked on the toilet, emptying my stomach. My tummy was just as upset as I was at my cousins and their inquisition, yesterday night.

    I cleaned myself, and by that I meant really take a long shower to brush every inch of my skin. After I prepared myself to go to school, I went down the kitchen. I sighed in relief when no one was around. Perhaps Dad gone to work and Mom went to somewhere that who knows where, and maybe my sister was still asleep.

    I sneaked into the kitchen and ate my breakfast as fast as I could to avoid interrogation in case somebody would see me with my swollen eyes. I'm tired. Additionally, my 18th birthday was a history of heartaches and frustration, inquisition and annoyance, and disgust from not cleaning myself before I slept after drinking alcohol.

    Eww. I grimaced.

———

Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 11:30 PHT

    "Hi!" I greet Jenna and her friends as soon as arrive at the OSA office; I checked the line from its door to the Admin office. Mahaba pa rin ang pila. Nakakainip 'yon.

    "Hello! Tinanghali ka. Tapos na kaming mag-enroll sa NSTP," Jane told me.

    "I overslept. We had the celebration of my birthday last night.." and it was so epic, "so yes, I woke up late. I'm sorry, I hope I didn't make you wait," I apologized.

    "Hindi naman. Nakapag-enroll kami agad kanina kasi maikli pa 'yong pila." Jenna looked at me with her usual welcoming smile.

    She looks happy and contented. Sana all. I suddenly feel envious of her genuine smile. I tried giving her the same level of genuineness and I hoped I succeeded.

    "Nasaan sila Angelic?" I suddenly asked when I realized that Angelic and Gracie were not with them.

    "Speaking of! Ayon sila, kausap ang isa pa naming friend." Jenna giggles in excitement.

    I followed Jenna and Jane as they went to Angelic and Gracie who were talking to a tall dark guy whose shoulders is indeed broad. They looked at me, including him. He looks fine, handsome in his own way.

    It was a little off when the guy looked at me from head to toe, checking me out. "Sinech?" He asked Gracie.

    "Ceska, si Eric," Gracie introduces Eric to me.

    "Hello, sis! I'm Eric Bustamante, BSBA. 19. Representing, Bulacan!" He offered me a hand. I had a low chuckle at his energetic introduction.

    Honestly, it's flattering to have someone welcoming you to his or her life. Look, not everyone who you meet in a casual situation can offer a handshake. The pleasure was mine so I took his hand and said "I'm Francesca La Costa. Call me Ceska," while smiling at him.