Seventeen

*unedited

A short one
///

It was the last day of the training camp and everyone was scheduled to leave by 1 pm.

Karasuno was already packed and ready to leave the night before.

The coaches decide that the last remaining hours of the camp was to be used to play friendly games or just chill around.

It was lenient and too convenient for Kuroo.

He had time and he wanted to talk to Yachi but the idea of casually talking to the girl made him nervous.

If Kenma were here, he'd probably say something logical like: just go talk or something.

But It wasn't that easy now was it?

His awareness was going to be the death of him and he's probably going to regret a the time that he had wasted, lolly gagging in some hallway.

"Dammit,I'm just going to wing this." he mutters to himself and was set to find Yachi.

///

Yamaguchi Tadashi was standing next to Tsukishima Kei in silence.

The blonde had casted a condescending smirk on Kuroo's way as the boy passed them.

Kuroo just challengingly smirked back.

" Why do you keep doing that, Tsukki?"

"Tsk. Shut up, Yamaguchi."

"Sorry Tsukki. "

The two were standing on sidelines of the gym away from the crowds as their teammates socialised. They were forced by Daichi to stick around so they didn't have much of a choice, Bokuto was talking to them earlier before Hinata had
(thankfully) took his attention away from them.

Yamaguchi watches Kuroo approach Yachi from the other side of the gym.

The boy frowns.

"They'll probably end up together." Yamaguchi whispers but it was enough for Tsukishima to hear.

Yamaguchi's sullen tone had caught Tsukishima off guard, he looks over to Yamaguchi-eyes looking at the pair sadly.

The taller boy sighs.

"Well, We can't do anything about that, now do we? It's up to them. "

"Yeah, maybe." Yamaguchi answers.

After a quiet while, he speaks again. "But, do you wish that it wasn't like that? That it was different, that you could-"

"Don't say that." Tsukishima cuts him off his voice was low and stern, he was now also watching at Yachi laugh at something Kuroo had probably said.

"Well, what about you? What are you going to do? You had a lot of chances but-"

"But nothing" Tsukishima cuts him off again, rather sharply this time. Yamaguchi looks down and laces his fingers together.

"You try too hard to hide what you feel, Tsukki. You deserve to be happy too."

"This isn't the only way for me to be happy. I have a lot of other things beside this, even better than this."  Tsukishima says

Does he?

He worried for his friend. Tsukishima had stepped out and didn't want to gamble anything. He didn't want to sacrifice or even try.

It made Yamaguchi sad. Tsukishima had always harbored secret feelings and despite his bitter response, glares and sarcastic remarks, he cared.

"You stepped aside for them to have a chance at something ,huh. You did it because you care too much. " Yamaguchi says.

"Maybe they will maybe they won't, it doesn't matter though. "  Tsukishima tries to dodge the word 'care'. He doesn't want to admit that he had something stored for that person.

"They like each other." Yamaguchi tells him.

"I don't really care,Yamaguchi."

Despite all the cool facade, Tsukishima was internally kicking himself as he clenched his fists. He tried his beat not to show it but he was also suffering.

"Suga-senpai knew. He was secretly rooting for you, I could tell."

"That doesn't matter."

A brief silence falls over them.

Yamaguchi sighs.

"Be kinder to yourself, Kei." he says, the boy pats the blonde's shoulder before leaving the gym.

Tsukishima finally frowns.

He looks at Yachi, annoyingly bright and endearing,laughing with another boy.

Despite the million chances that he had, he didn't want to gamble and he kicked himself everytime, he didn't want to try it with a girl that obviously liked another boy.

But he knew her way better than Kuroo.

And liked her way too much.

Tsukishima shakes his head and starts to walk towards the exit.

A gamble he could never win,not with her,not ever.

///

Note: hey guys! I decided to dump these chapters on you coz I'm excited to finish this fic.

How was it? Share your thoughts?

Take care always and stay safe 💛