Adoption?!

*A few months later*

My birthday passed a few days ago.

Which means...

I'm 14!

They took me to a theme park nearby where we were staying to celebrate. I had so much fun the entire day. We went on so many different rides and ate so much carnival food. Can I just say, cotton candy is a-maz-ing. Like, Jesus, did I miss it. 

They got me a cake which we cut when we got back. 

My cheekbones hurt from smiling the entire day. 

The best part was that they let me use my phone for the day so I could respond to my birthday wishes. 

One of the people who wished me was my cousin...but she also had some bad news to tell me. 

My brother's condition worsened. 

I thought he was getting better. The girls told me he was. But, apparently, they were lying.

There's a chance he might not make it. 

God, I need to go see him. 

I decided to ask the girls. We were all sitting on the couch in the hotel room. They were talking about something when I interrupted them. 

"Umm..."

They all looked at me and Dinah asked "What?"

"M-My brother's condition worsened."

"Oh my God Skylar." Camila groaned as she rolled her eyes 

"What?!" I asked annoyed 

"Don't raise your voice at me. And, don't ask if you can go see him. You already know the answer."

"B-But why?" I asked

"He'll be fine." Ally said

"They told me that he might not even make it out alive," I replied 

"Who is they?" Lauren asked suspiciously 

"M-My cousin," I replied quietly as I looked down

"Your cousin?! Give me your phone!" Camila said as she walked over to me and snatched my phone out of my hand. "You're not getting this back again."

"Way to ruin your birthday Skylar! You're not going to see them." Normani said

"It's getting late. Go to bed." Dinah said 

I sighed as I slowly got up and headed to bed. 

Screw them. I know I shouldn't say that, but screw them. I'm getting out of here. I need to see him. He's my big brother. I'm taking some of their money and getting out of here.

---

*Present Day*

When I wake up, the first thing I notice is the vile smell of gas and trash. I feel the cold, hard cement floor under me. I look up to see buildings made of bricks surrounding me. 

I'm behind a large blue trashcan that's filled to the top. 

I smile at myself. 

I made it. 

I did it. 

I'm finally away from them. It's been two days. They're gone. I'm safe. 

I can go home. 

The plan is to take the bus back home after I eat some breakfast at the diner across the street. 

I go to the diner and order toast with egg and coffee.