32

Jungkook's screams fell silent, his body going numb. His mother continued to beat down on him, blood staining the carpet. Her fist came down on his shoulder before she walked away, a maniacal smile painting her face. 

There was too much pain for his brain to register. Instead, he dabbed alcohol into the cuts and rolled up the ruined rug. Despite the ache in his bones, he hauled it outside and lifted it into the garbage bin. 

Across the street, Jimin sat on a bench and watched. Just like he had every day since the younger ran away. And just like every day before, Jungkook barely cast him a glance. He went back inside and took a cold shower, and too tired to stand for much longer he passed out in the basement. 

Jungkook woke up to find a list taped to the fridge along with a 20 dollar bill. He pulled them off and held the paper close to his face, trying to make out the words. He threw them on the counter and headed to the front door for a walk. He barely made it a step before he stopped. Scrunching his nose, he bent down and peeled another paper off the bottom of his foot. He sighed, throwing it away.

Be home before 12 with groceries or you'll regret it.

He grabbed the list and the money again before putting on his shoes. He limped down the street to the store, pulling his hood tightly over his head.

$20 isn't nearly enough to cover dinner never mind this whole list. 

Jimin spotted him, quickly leaving the bench and racing across the street. Car horns honked as he passed, but he paid them no mind. Grabbing Jungkook's shoulder, he spun the younger around and scanned his face with desperate and worried eyes.