𝐟 𝐨 𝐫 𝐭 𝐲 - 𝐟 𝐢 𝐯 𝐞

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Damn, I don't think I've ever seen you not calm and you're freaking out right now"

"I haven't done the whole being introduced to girlfriend's family thing for a while now," Breton hurriedly poured out water in the vase into the sink, "Plus, this will be the first time I'm introducing my adoptive daughter."

I couldn't help but smile when he said those words, and got up from the couch, walking to the kitchen where Breton is now lighting up candles. It was Friday night and Breton's girlfriend, Helena and her daughter, Leah were coming over for dinner. I saw the scrumptious dishes laid out on the table and my mouth watered from the aroma. There were mashed potatoes, fried salmon, hot chocolate lava cake, sweet bread and pink lemonade.

"I don't see any reasons that it would go wrong. I've got a feeling that even Leah and I would be friendly, she's only four years older than me so it's easier to find stuff to talk about."

As if right on cue, the doorbell rang and I went to open the door. The two women who stood in front of me looked exactly like the pictures Breton showed me. Helena, who wore a dark blue lace dress which complimented her blue eyes. Leah, who went for a casual side, wore mint skirt pants with a simple white top.

Helena had a big smile on her face when she saw me, "Hi, you must be Tiana. Nice to finally meet you."
"Likewise, both of you," Leah gave me a small smile as she stood behind her mother, "Come in, please."

I closed the door behind them and saw Breton greeting Helena with a kiss. All of us then settled down around the dining table and dug into the food. Another reason why I was excited about today was because of the food, obviously.

"So Tiana, I heard you're setting alright in Eunoia Junior College?" Helena asked me.

Just have to steer clear of conversations about my life before I came here for the entire night. Should be doable.

I chuckled, "Barely there, Singapore's education is no joke."

"I think you're doing alright. What about you, Leah? Your mother told me you recently graduated from university," Breton cuts in and stirred the conversation focus away from me.

Leah put the fork down, "Yeah, just graduated last year and am currently pursuing journalism."

"I think journalism is a great route to go," I said. But I can never do that as I'm still presumed dead.

"Oh don't be so humble, Leah," Helena turned to Breton and I, "Leah got a job as an intern at the Strait Times last month."

Strait Times is one of Singapore's most popular newspapers. Every day I do take a look at the international news page, just to see what Nicandro was up to.

"That's fantastic, Leah. How is it going so far?" Breton asked her. I also saw that Leah's cheeks turned a shade redder.

"It's going great, a little overwhelming at first, but I'm getting the hang of it."

We went on talking about why Helena and Leah moved to Singapore, it was because Helena got a job offer here when her company back in Russia decided to move locations. She now works at a bank company as an accountant, and the same bank company which backs up the law firm Breton is working at, which brings back to the point how they met at the New Year Eve's party, as it was hosted by the bank company. I talked briefly about Sha and Sherwyn, taking the focus off myself once again and Leah shared a little about this guy she had been sort of flirting with the past few weeks.

After dinner, Leah and I went up to my room while Breton and Helena stayed downstairs to 'clean the dishes'. I really liked them together, but public display of affection generally makes me uncomfortable, even more so when it's your second foster dad's with his girlfriend in the house.