𝐟 𝐨 𝐫 𝐭 𝐲 - 𝐬 𝐞 𝐯 𝐞 𝐧

I jumped and turned to face the person standing behind me. I couldn't really make out any distinctive feature about the person, especially in the dark, but one thing I noticed was the very shiny knife which was in the person's hand.

There was a few seconds of silence before the person started walking toward me, and I quickly backed away until I felt my back hitting the wall. At that moment, I felt as if I was a little kid, and the big bad monster was towering over me. My breathing hitched, I couldn't feel my fingers and sweat was profusely rolling down from my forehead.

I couldn't even grasp what was happening, just that I sensed an object being thrown my way and quickly duck. I let out a scream when I heard a very sound noise of something crashing into each other.

When I looked up, I saw that my attacker was gone and let out a huge breath. But when I was about to stand up, I saw pieces of glass on the floor beside me and looked up to see that the shiny knife my attacker was holding was stuck inside the mirror hanging on the wall directly above to where I was.

Now I know the sound of when a knife is thrown into a mirror.

Suddenly, the lights turned on and I saw Breton standing near the stairs with his hands on the switch. His eyes widened as he saw the state I was in.

"Oh my god, Alveanea," he quickly rushed to me and put his hand on my forehead to check if I'm well. Which clearly I'm not, someone just tried to kill me!

It was twenty minutes later, three police cars parked outside of the house, the forensics people taking pictures of the mirror with the knife still stuck in it. There were a few other officers involved in a serious discussion near the entrance and I'm sitting at the dining table as I see Breton answering questions.
"I need you to tell me anything noticeable about your attacker," the police officer looked at me with empathetic eyes and a notepad in his hand.

Right, I'm in the middle of questioning.

"I... I can't answer the question," I said as I took a sip of water.

"Why so?" she prompted.

"Because the person was wearing a black hoodie and pants, plus wearing a mask as well. I don't even know if the attacker was a male or female," I let out a breath, "Uh I guess the only information I can give is that the attacker was not that tall."

She nodded, "Okay, that'll be all for now. My supervisor will brief you on what'll happen next."

On cue, Breton and a Malay guy walked toward me and the officer walked away. He wasn't wearing the regular police uniform, so he must be a detective. Probably the lead detective for this case.

Once again, I'm being looked at with empathetic eyes, "Hi there, I'm detective Ayaz, the detective in charge of this case. You're managing alright, Tiana?"

This is just the seventh time that I'm in a life-threatening situation, no big deal.

"Managing the best I can, detective," I pursed my lips into a straight line.

"Take your time with how you're feeling," he cleared his throat, "So, we've implemented some security measures. There'll be men coming over tomorrow to install facial recognition cameras at the front and back of the house. Since your attacker will be wearing a mask, the camera won't be able to detect a face and it'll sound the alarm. We'll be alerted when that happens as well."

Breton put his hand on my shoulder and anyone could sense meters away that he was freaking out. I gave him a small smile, hopefully to show him that if I, the victim, is alright, he would feel more calm.

"Okay, have you guys started working on the suspects?" I just wanted this thing to be over. I thought the days of me being hunted were over as I haven't poked around anywhere since I left Spain.