Choose Your Battles

"I really don't think this is a good idea." Jus said looking between me and D.

"Think about it, Jus. If she tells Brandon herself Catherine has nothing to use against her."

"What about the tapes? How do we get the tapes from her?" I asked them. "I'm sure she's made copies."

We were sitting in the living room coming up with a plan to get rid of Cat. We were acting like this was a book or a movie where we take down the bad guy and all would be well. I knew all she wanted was money and I was broke. I had no money. Brandon controlled the money and since I wasn't at home I wasn't getting anything. I thought that because he was playing nice he would allow me access to our accounts. There was two hundred and fifty dollars that I had on a
Prepaid card that had to last me until God knew when.

"I'm going to have to call him." I said looking at my phone.

"Brandon?" D asked and looked from me to Jus.

"No. We can do this without him." Jus said trying to take my phone from me.

"We don't have the kind of money she wants for those tapes, Jus. He's the only option."

"Money or not I'm still fu--giving him these hands on sight." D said correcting himself when Jus looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

I called Brandon's phone only to go to voicemail.

"Brandon, it's Camille. It's very
Important you give me a call when you get this. Please?" I pretty much begged as I ended the call.

"Now we wait." Jus announced and left the table.

I'm sure because he could sense my desperation he took his time calling me back. I didn't hear from him until later that evening. I couldn't believe that I was about to beg him for money to pay off my mother because she was blackmailing me.

"You didn't leave the money on the dresser, Camiille." He stated sarcastically as soon as I answered.

"It's not like we're back together, Brandon. It just happened. That's not what I called you for." I said irritated. The whole situation had me on edge.

"What's so important then?" He rushed me.

"Brandon, I need some money."

"How much?"

"Excuse me?" I asked taking the phone away from my ear and looking at it.

"How much money do you need?"

"I'm not sure yet. There's something I need to tell you." I put my earbuds in and began to pace around the room.

"Okay. Whenever you're ready."

"My mom use to pimp me out to pay off her and my dads debts. She would make me have threesomes, sometimes with her to make more money. They were recorded and now that you've cut her off she's blackmailing."

"Wait. What? What kind of sick--Camille, I'm sorry that happened to you. How do you know she didn't copy the tapes?"

"I don't." I sighed and bit my lip.

"I'll figure something out. Talk to her see what she's talking and call me back."

"Ok. Thanks Brandon. I really appreciate you helping me with this."

"Camille, you know me very well. So you should know there's s price for every favor." He laughed lightly.

I was just as stupid as I was smart. I knew it was too good to be true that he would just help me. I guess he hadn't changed that much. Who was worse him or my mother? My heart started beating in anticipation as to what he would say.

"What's it going to cost me Brandon?" I asked sitting on the bed Indian style and biting my lip.

"I'll help you. You know money is no object to me. It helps me if Cat is out of my monthly budget just because I don't like the hag."

"Brandon?"

"I'll help if you..." He paused leaving me in suspense.

"Only if I what?" I asked

"Come home."

"Bran--"

"No. You want MY help. That's my stipulation. Think about it. Call me back and let me know your decision."

"So now you're blackmailing me?!" I screamed.

"Shhhh! Calm down. I'm simply helping my wife make a decision she can't make on her own."

He ended the call and I was stunned. Which devil did I fight? I tried to get help and it backfired. I needed help because it seemed as if whenever I made progress I'd get pushed back. You have to choose battles wisely, but it looked like every battle lead to defeat.