Chapter-24

Soccer drills are breaking me man. It's cold out and jackets are uncomfortable. But hey, I've got to get good for soccer season. #7 for life.

Enjoy the story.
Unedited.
***

"We are gathered here today, in sorrow."

I currently stand in wet grass, my eyes bursting with unshed tears. Sobs stuck in my throat, my heart breaking into a million pieces. I was not standing in front of Theodore's coffin-I would not be crying-but someone else's.

I was standing in front of Sam's.

He had died three days after admitted into the hospital. He had told me he was going to die, he was shot in a bad spot, grazing his kidneys. They would eventually shut down, nobody could save him. After many pleads, begging for him to live, he finally convinced me everything would be okay. I still remember the last conversation we had, only an hour before he would slip away.

"You know, I'm going to die soon," he had told me. "And you have to promise me you won't cry forever."

"I can't promise such a thing," I replied, keeping my tears at bay. "It'll break me."

"Don't cry forever Kenna, life is too short for so much sorrow," he mumbles, keeping his gaze directly on my face. Quietness seeps into the room, circling around us. "I really did love you, Kenna."

"I really did love you too, Sam," I choke, cupping chest in pain. "I just-I wanted Luke."

"Thank you for not saying you wish you would have stayed with me," Sam smiles-the action breaking me. "I don't want you to lie to me-I'm done with all the lies. From everyone."

"Sam, what will I do when you're gone?" I ask, reaching out to touch him. He grasps my hand, his skin icy cold.

"You'll be happy," he replies. "You'll be with Luke."

"Sam, thank you," I cry-letting the tears slip from my eyes. "For everything."

"No, thank you," Sam speaks, his own face tear stained. "For the time you were mine. For the time you spent loving me."

"I'll never forget you, Sam."

"Good."

***
After Sam is firmly in the ground, everyone stands around, waiting to speak to the family. I stand by the cars, playing with my locket. After a few moments I hear the clacking of heels, followed by shuffled steps. I glance up, catching sight of Sam's sister, standing beside Luke.

"Oh hey Kenna," laughs Lizzie, keeping her hand tightly placed on Luke's bicep. "You know Luke, right?"

"I sure do," I smile, sending Luke a look. He looked absolutely miserable.

"I think he likes me!" She squeals. Even though he's two inches away.

"Oh do you?" I muse, sending Luke a smug look.

"Yes!" She coos, looking at Luke with a lovesick smile.

"Too bad he has a girlfriend," I speak.

Lizzie's face falls, her eyes filling with more sadness than before. "You're a whore." She speaks, her face blank of emotion.

"W-what?" I ask, taken aback.

"You got together with him so fast, I knew there was something between you two when I saw you at the hospital," she speaks, her eyes narrowing. "I should have known, my brother meant nothing to you."

"That's not true," I protest. "But I don't want to fight at his funeral.

With that, I pull Luke into the car, closing the door behind me. I can faintly here he call to me through the glass.