Chapter nine

Kenna's P.O.V

The familiar scent of bagels fills my nostrils as I walk into the coffee shop. The retro couches are packed with people and the tables are too. Luke sits at the far booth, playing with the straw container. I walk up, placing my bag on the seat, and slide into the booth. Luke looks up at me, dropping the straws, and smiles. I smile back, folding my hands on the table.

"So, did you bring your books?" I ask, taking my math book out of my bag.

"Was I supposed to?" he asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Yes," I laugh, rolling my eyes. "It's okay, we can both use mine."

I open up to the latest page and start looking for a simple problem. Luke watches me as I scribble a problem into my notebook, and slide it across the table. "Okay," I chirp. "You complete the problem. I wrote it down so you wouldn't mess it up, but you have to solve it. No cheating."

Luke picks up his pencil and begins trying to solve it. He bites the eraser as he stares down at the simple Triangle, that all you have to do is calculate what's the perimeter of the side. It's simple, it really is, but Luke looks helplessly at the paper. I begin explaining everything, while Luke just stares at me. I can tell he's not understanding any of this.

Three hot chocolates, two cookies, and an ice cream later, Luke is understanding the math problems. He nods along as I explain every single detail. He answers problems correctly, and even does his homework. Luke smiles brightly through it all, until Anna walks into the shop. His face falls into panic, and I look at him confused.

Anna walks over, her smile smug and bright.

"I had a great time at our date Lukey," she purrs, leaning down kissing his cheek.

"Yeah," he grumbles. "I'm in the middle of something, can we talk later?"

Anna's smile wobbles and her eye twitches. "Sure," she seethes. "I'll call you later."

Anna then leans down, kissing him on the lips. After a few moments she leans back, whispers in his ear, then giggles as she trots away. Silence falls over us. The atmosphere is heavy around us. I play with my fork, racking my brain for something to say.

"You're dating?" I blurt out. Luke looks up at me, a shocked expression on his face.

"Yeah," he shrugs. "I guess."

"You guess?" I laugh dryly. "You guess you're dating the girl who just attacked your face?"

"Yeah, I am dating her," he nods, biting his lip.

I feel my face flush, and anger rise. "The girl who called me a whore?" I snap, glaring at him.

"Kenna-" he starts with a sigh.

"Sorry," I choke. "Let's hang out after school tomorrow?" I have no idea why I asked to hang out. I just, felt like I- I don't even know. I blurted it out, but I don't even know why.

"Sure," he beams. His mood turning bright.

I nod as I stand up, collecting my things. I grab my hot chocolate, my new cookie, and wave goodbye. The crisp air tinges my cheeks pink as I exit the shop. The bell above the door dings as I leave. I make my way down the street, my high heels clacking against the cement. I hear the soft pad of footsteps behind me. I turn down an ally, thinking the footsteps will disappear, but they don't.

I speed up, walking swiftly down the road, and turn down the corner. The footsteps pick up, causing my heartbeat to pick up. I start running as soon as I turn the corner. I hear the footsteps get closer, I panic. Then, long arms wrap around my midsection, pulling my backwards. I turn around and come face-to-face with a boy.