Ch. 11

When I walk into a school I look completely different than I have in awhile. I wear black sweatpants, a red sweater, and black boots. My hair is up in a messy bun and my face is clear of makeup. I feel weird without the pounds of makeup, the five inch heels, and flashy outfits. But, I feel way better. I feel more like me.

Everyone looks at me as I walk to my locker. It spins open and papers fall to the floor, I bend down to pick them up, banging my head with someone else's. I look up and see Luke. He's rubbing his head and wincing. My head has a light sting, but I feel numb at the sight of Luke. He locks eyes with me, staring into my eyes. I slowly start to pickup the papers, my eyes still locked with his.

"Why do papers always seem to be around with us?" he asks lightly.

"Like when we first met you mean," I laugh silently. "I still hurt from that."

"Well, you seem to be unaffected from this experience," he comments. Only I was affected. The way he was looking at me, the fact that he was incredibly close to my face, and how his fingers lightly brushed my hand. I was swirling with emotions, trying hard to not faint.

I back away reluctantly, standing up. He follows suit, looking at the ground. I begin to shove the papers back into my locker. Yesterday, that's when I ran home, that's when I spilt everything I had been holding in. I had screamed for five minutes, sinking to the floor. I spent the rest of my day eating plain bread and watching Teen Nick.

"Kenna," Luke whispers. "Would you like to go on a-"

"Luke!" screeches Anna. "Come walk me to class!" She wears way-to-high- heels, a purple pencil skirt, and a low-cut crop-top. She waves her hands wildly trying to make Luke come faster. He sends her an annoyed look, which she returns with a bright smile. But, behind her façade I see her anger raising.

"Talk later?" Luke asks hopefully, walking backwards.

"Sure," I nod, smiling softly.

Luke smiles back, then walks to Anna. She grabs his arm, dragging him to her class. But not before sending me a ice cold glare. I wave, trying my best to look sincere. My face turns upwards into a weird smile, making me look like the joker. I drop my hand, grab my backpack that had fallen to the floor, and walk towards my class.

Amy sits at her desk, chewing on the eraser of her pencil. I sit down at the seat next to her. She looks at me, a blank expression itched to her features, and in a monotone says "hello".

I take out my workbook, opening up the current place, and begin the work. I sneak glances at Amy, who seems very interested in a blank wall, and look for any signs of forgiveness. Amy's head suddenly snaps my direction, her eyes narrowed, and places folded hands on her desk.

"Where's Sam?" she asks, hatred very noticeable in his voice.

"He broke up with me," I state. Amy looks a little shocked at me answer, but quickly regains herself.

"Why? Did you not cut his crust right?" she laughs. "You were always no stupid."

"No, he wanted someone to screw," I shrug. "He never loved me, he cheated on me even. He used me, but I wouldn't put out so I was dumped. I was fighting a hangover and dumped."

Amy looks sincerely at me. I hadn't noticed I had began to cry. Tears steam down my face, falling to the floor. I was glad I hadn't worn makeup, I would look more of a mess then I do now. And I look like a giant mess.

Amy lightly places her hand over mine, looking at me with sad eyes. I wipe away at my tears with my sleeve, sniffling. I may have been distant, but Amy still pulls me into a warm hug. I suddenly feel someone looking at me. I turn around, my eyes still puffy, and watch as Luke takes in my tear stained face. His jaw tightens, his hands clench, and he turns away.