EP 3 (New Home)

30 January 2013, Wednesday, 2.03 p.m.

Cold droplets slowly run down her face as she stared blankly at the tombstone. The weather seems to be sad by the loss of her mother. Her brain tumour was sudden news to her. Just a few days ago, they went to the theme park together. All she could think was why? Why did you hide it from me? If only I knew it earlier, I could've saved you. Just why?

Kim Seo-Hyeon
1986 - 2013
A loving mother and a sweet sister.
Rest in peace

A lady in a black outfit neared her with an umbrella. She covered the 7-year-old girl with it.

"Minhee." The lady called the girl's name, snapping her out of trance. The said girl glanced at the lady, "Who are you?"

"My name's Kang Yujun from Lilypad Home. I'll be taking you there, Minhee." The lady declared to the girl. Minhee didn't say anything and continued to stare at her mother's tombstone. A few moments passed, she let out a sigh before nodding to the lady. Both of them soon left the cemetery.

Mrs Kang opened a door and revealed a bedroom with two beds, closets and other common furniture. The lady placed Minhee's luggage on the right bed along with her backpack. Minhee on the other hand was looking around the room. "How long will I be here?" She asked the lady which she responded,

"Certainly not the rest of your life." Her answer brought silence from the younger. She glanced at her to see the girl sitting on the bed. She looked at her unreadable expression.

"Do you think it's my fault, miss Kang?" Minhee asked abruptly, staring at her hands. Mrs Kang was a bit taken back by that question. She stayed silent, thinking about how to respond. She knew the younger blamed herself for Seo-Hyeon's death even though it wasn't hers. Losing your only relative could take a toll on you, especially when they're closer to you. Even so, Mrs Kang joined her and sat beside her. She softly replied,

"None of this is your fault, sweetheart. Your mother made the choice, a choice she thought thoroughly. You know her, she will never hurt you in any sort of way. She fulfilled her role and loved you throughout those years. Unfortunately, her illness prevented her from continuing to do so. But that doesn't mean it's your fault. Remember that." She declared to the girl who looked at her. Then, silence took over the room.

Until Mrs Kang spoke, "Dinner will be at 7.30, all of the kids will be there. I will come to you beforehand." Mrs Kang said swiftly before leaving the room. Not before sending her a warm smile. Minhee looked as the door closed. She then decided to unpack her clothes and things.

Once she was done, she thought about what Mrs Kang said for dinner. After various thoughts ran through her mind, she decided to join the other kids. Then, she heard three knocks from the door. She opened the door to see Mrs Kang waiting for her. "Ready?" She asked. Minhee then answered with a reassuring nod.

Mrs Kang guided Minhee to the diner where all the children at. Once she entered, all eyes landed on her. She felt her nervousness bubble up to her throat, making her drop her head. Then, she felt a hand placed on her shoulder with a whisper. "Everything's okay. Stay beside me." Mrs Kang reassured her. It worked. The lady dropped her at a nearby table. A few kids are sitting with her.

"Hi there." A girl spoke out to Minhee. She has dark-toned skin along with curly puffed hair that matched her eyes. "What's your name?"

"Kim Minhee. You?" Minhee answered her question. "Violet Anderson, but you can call me Vivie," Violet said to the girl. In return, Minhee nodded. With that, the other kids started to introduce themselves to the newcomer.

After dinner, the children spent their time playing in the playroom. Minhee met a lot more children and they were very nice.

The person that she felt comfortable is Violet. Hence, they spent a lot of time together every day.

I think I'll be fine here. Minhee thought, laying on her bed. With that, she closed her eyes.