Chapter 8

FYA - Unit

I don't know what happened, but I just found myself sitting inside the front seat of his car as he is taking me to Rio's condo.

I really find myself so odd and weird today. To the fact that I am clearly not the friendly type of person and the one who trusts so easily, is now sitting in the car of the person whom I just saw for three times and met twice. I just couldn't understand how I feel a bit comfortable with him that I feel like he's not a bad person. Though, I just hope my judgment is right.

"Uh.. do you mind if I turn on the stereo?" I said when I couldn't tolerate the silence.

I'm not really fond with noisy and nosy people, kaya hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit nababagabag ako sa katahimikan namin dito sa loob. He was just so quiet. Kung hindi ako magsasalita, hindi rin siya magsasalita. Or maybe because I just got used to Rio's nonstop blabbermouth and Asa's nonsense mouth. Ugh. Why should I even prefer hearing those two than this silence? Like, I deserve this peaceful moment for a while.

Though, I wasn't sure if my eyes are playing with me because of how I always caught Asa looking at me, pero minsan ay napapansin ko ang pasulyap-sulyap niya rin sa akin.

Nawala naman ang mga nasa isipan ko nang pagkasindi ko ng stereo ay saktong tumutugtog ang kantang laging kinakanta ko noong bata ako.

"If you believe, you must be big,
in order to be tough,
Then you should get to know me,
I'll teach you other stuff." The song that was coming out from the stereo.

"I'm Madeline, I'm Madeline, I may be very small, I'm Madeline, I'm Madeline, but inside, I'm tall." Hindi ko namalayan na napasabay na rin pala ako sa kanta.

Huh. What a weird station to play this song suddenly.

Nang sandali akong mapatingin sa kanya ay nakita ko ang isang multong ngiting nakapaskil sa labi niya. Tumikhim naman ako at agad pinalitan ang kanta.

"You know that song?" I asked that made him bit his lower lip before sitting properly.

"Yeah..." he said in a low voice.

Tumango naman ako at muling napatingin sa kanya nang ituloy niya ang kanyang sasabihin.

"I used to watch it with my... uh..."

"Sister?" I assumed.

Tumango naman siya at sandaling sumulyap sa akin bago ibalik ang tingin sa daan. "Yeah, you can say that.."

"I see... so were you the one who liked Madeline or was it your sister?" I asked trying to tease him a bit.

"She was, but after how many times she pleaded me to watch it with her, I got to memorized the song." He shrugged off, while I can see the ghost smile on his lips again.

I nodded. Well, that's the longest sentence he constructed. But then, afterwards, we went silent again. Hanggang sa makarating na ako sa tapat ng condo, mabuti na nga lang at naisipan kong sindiin ang stereo kaya kahit papaano ay nabawasan ang katahimikan.

"Thank you for the drive... and for paying my groceries. But can you tell me now how to repay you?" I asked because he ignored me at first when I asked for his bank account.

"If you want, you can wait here and I'll just get my other purse to pay–"

"Do you still have the book?" Pagputol niya sa sinasabi ko.