Chapter 20: Leaving Souix Falls

The following summer was awesome to say the least, they all hung out everyday doing random stupid fun things trying to make the most of the time they all had together.

Dean, Gabriel, Meg, Lisa and Jo flew to Califorina for a tour of Stanford as well as apartments and when they came back they were joined at the hip with their partners until their days together were almost up.

"Gabriel seriously I'll be fine!" Sam assured his boyfriend for the fifth time. They had a two days left of summer and since Gabriel was heading off to college and Sam still had a year of high school left Gabriel was reluctant to leave, not wanting to part from his boyfriend even if it was just for a year.

"No, Sam seriously I'll take a year off I don't need it anyway." Gabriel said "Yes you do Gabriel- you need to go be a college boy, I promise we'll still talk and see each other- I promise."

Gabriel huffed, accepting his defeat, he knew Sam would be okay without him but it didn't make it any easier "..Fine, but I still don't like it."

Sam chuckled on the other line "Of course you don't."

"Hey Sammy can you get off the phone with your boyfriend and help me pack now?!" Dean yelled from his bedroom, Sam rolled his eyes with a huff "Sorry- Dean needs me, I gotta go."

"See you tomorrow?" Gabriel asked hopfully and Sam smiled "See you tomorrow.. love you."

Sam paused for a moment wondering if Gabriel was actually going to say it back, he was hopefull seeing as Gabe had been trying to get comfortable with saying it more often, "I love you too Samich."

Sam smiled softly as Gabriel hung up, staring at his phone for a moment before finally putting it back in his pocket and running back upstairs into Dean's room. He picked up a box putting it down on the table with a heaving sigh "You can't let me talk to my boyfriend for five minutes?"

Dean rolled his eyes, "You'll have all weekend to talk."

He started packing up Dean's desk "It doesn't matter, time is time Dean-I know you feel the same about Cas." 

"I do but..we get by." He looked at Sam and set down the packing tape, "Y'know we haven't really talked.."

"About?"

"This is the first time that I won't be around..you'll be on your own."

Sam knew that was true and he hated that he was going to be without his older brother for the next year, it was going to suck majorly but he was doing everything in his power not to think about it, "Not really..Michael's flying back and I'm seventeen now, I can take care of myself." Dean's been taking care of him since he was nine almost ten years Dean been parenting him and Sam couldn't appreciate it more.

All the memories of Dean being there when his parents and Michael weren't. Dean never once gave up on him, he always tried even when Sam was a dick to him he didn't get angry, he'd give Sam his time and let him talk about whatever was bothering him.

"Yeah I know that I just..you're not a kid anymore, you don't need me to always be there- I-" Sam dropped the paperweight he was holding into the box and in two quick strides his arms were wrapped around Dean in a tight hug, "I will always need you Dean-always, don't you think for a second that I would ever stop."

Dean nodded into Sam's shoulder, hugging him back, "Alright.." He said, "I really am gonna miss you Sammy." All the movie nights they had and all those times food fights broke out when they were trying to cook dinner for themselves. Giving Sam his first beer at fourteen because his dad wasn't there to do it, making sure that the homework was done and  birthdays weren't overlooked.