Chapter 23

"Which button even is it?"

That's what I wake up to. As my alarm gently blares off to remind me to wake up and actually start the day, I am woken up to the sound of my boyfriend and my father trying to find out how to work the oven. Dabi's side of the bed empty, save for a small silhouette and the creasing of the sheets of where his body was. A small whine leaving my lips as I stretch the knots out of my body and slip into my slippers and slide my bed robe on, tying it around my waist as I scuffle downstairs with a shirt yawn. Arching a brow at the sight before me as I lean against the kitchen doorway.

"I swear you have to turn this thing in order for it to work," My father says scratching his head as he assesses all the buttons and knobs on my electric oven, Hiro sitting at the dining table with his slices of toast watching them with a giggle, "I haven't cooked for anyone in ages,"

"Are you boys having trouble?" I ask crossing my arms over my chest with a small giggle, giving Dabi a good morning kiss before kissing my fathers cheek, "Little word of advice, actually turn the oven on at the wall before you start judging what does what,"

"No wonder the bacon didn't cook," My father mutters as I flip the switch on, turning the grill on for him as I slide the slices of bacon back into the grill, "Thank you, honey,"

"What were you two doing anyway?" I ask, resting my weight on my hip as I arch a brow at them, Dabi sending me a small smile, "What were you planning?"

"I wanted to make you breakfast in bed," Dabi admits sheepishly with a small smile, rubbing the back of his neck while I giggle toward him, "Poached egg?"

"Sounds great," I reply, kissing his cheek before heading toward my son and kissing his forehead, "So what's the plan for today, Dabi?"

"Well, Fuyumi and Natsuo are coming over with Shoto, so we're all gonna catch up and stuff," Dabi explains with a small smile, his eyes glimmering excitedly at the thought of rekindling his relationship with his siblings, "And Fuyumi is gonna teach me how to cook certain meals for our upcoming anniversary dinner... what about you?"

"You're not gonna like my answer," I reply leaning against the island with a sheepish grin, giggling nervously as Dabi cages me against the island and arches a brow. Expecting me to reply, "Hiro and I are paying a visit to your father in hospital... so he knows we're safe,"

"You're kidding, right?" Dabi asks annoyed, rolling his eyes with a groan, "Why give him the decency when he's treated you like shit?"

"Touya, I understand that things between you and your father are difficult to understand but he is still Hiro's grandfather," My dad intervenes with a small smile, "He's trying to change for the better, sure I know it's too late for you but you need to give him a chance,"

"There's no way in hell, I'm letting that happen," Dabi replies shaking his head as he waits for the water in the pan to boil, "Even in Number One he's not happy,"

"We'll only be out for a little bit, I promise," I say gently, sliding my fingers in between his hair and smiling gently, "Then I'll come home and you and I can have cuddle,"

"Alright... but if he tries anything you tell me," Dabi says kissing my nose as he pulls the poached egg from the pan and lays it on two slices of toast, handing me the plate with a small smile, "And you leave as soon as he acts up, I don't want him upsetting you,"

"I will," I assure him, sitting down at the table and digging into my meal, poking the egg yolk with my fork until the yolk spills all over the toast and plate, smiling to myself, "It's just a quick visit, I'll go out and get you some soba if you want? I can make you your favourite?"