1912

RIVER sat by Rebekah's side, the pair of them opposite Carol Lockwood, eager to uncover any information on the White Oak Tree that had grown in Mystic Falls.

"Thank you for meeting with me, Mayor" Rebekah began "River and I figured as head of the Preservation Society, you'd be a good person to ask about the oldest trees in this community"

"A long line of Lockwood women use to keep those records, back before any of them had actual jobs" Carol spoke.

"We've been to the Founders' archive, but I can't seem to find any record of the tree we're looking for" River replied.

"It probably got cut down" Carol informed "Big old trees built half of this town in the 1900s"

River nodded, glancing to his side to see Rebekah and Damon watching each other as the Salvatore siblings moved towards the bar.

"Do you happen to know who kept the milling ledgers during that period?" River asked.

"Back then all the logging mills were owned by the Salvatores" Carol answered.

"Of course they were" River murmured.

Rebekah stood, turning to Carol.

"Thank you for your time, Mayor Lockwood" Rebekah smiled, River doing the same.

They moved away from the table, approaching the Salvatore siblings.

"But why them? Huh? Brian Walters and Alaric weren't from founding families, I mean, hey, if you're gonna slaughter council members, go A-list" Damon spoke "At least in 1912 they killed a Salvatore"

"Which Salvatore would that be?" River smirked.

Damon and Stefan fell silent.

-

River sat beside Damon, Rebekah by his side as they tried to whittle as much information as they could from the boys.

"So, Zachariah Salvatore was your nephew?" Rebekah wondered.

"Well, our father knocked up one of the maids during the Civil War, she had a son" Damon answered "But as far as everyone else knew, Stefan and I were dead, family name had to go somewhere"

"And, uh, your family owned the logging mills back then?" Rebekah asked.

"You're full of a lot of questions" Damon narrowed his eyes.

"I'm just researching the town history" Rebekah lied "I grew up here after all"

"And I'm bored" River sighed.

"You know you don't have to disguise your true motives Blondie-Bex, if you want more sex, just ask for it" Damon grinned.

"Not enough liquor in the world" Rebekah stated, River snorting.

The witch grabbed the bottle of alcohol, pouring two drinks.

"Oh, come on, it was too good for you to be this hostile" Damon flirted.