Chapter 6

"Polar was my best friend. We did everything together. Since I was royalty, it was confirmed that I'd have to marry someone rich, and that rich dragon was a guy called Herring." Glacier's grandmother sighed, but continued with her story. She closed her eyes, suddenly looking older.

"I remember that day..."
Gelida was a little dragon, looking around nervously as many other Icewing dragons and dragonets. Her parents were near her, looking as regal as ever.

Her mother, Queen Azalea, held her head up high.
"Are you sure you want to go play with those... commoners?" She asked Gelida, spitting out the word "commoners".

"No," Gelida said, looking down at the ice. Her mother nodded approvingly.

"I actually wanted to join those dragonets, but I knew my mother was only entertaining the idea of me possibly going," Gelida explained.

Wow, poor grandmother. It seems like it was tough for her.

"Well, as I was saying, I went back to the palace..."
Gelida walked into the palace, ran into her room and shut the door. A servant knocked on her door.

"Go away!" Gelida yelled. She knew her mother would be angry at her for speaking that way, but she didn't care. She just felt so alone.

"After that, I was basically kept alone in that palace. Until 3 years later..." Gelida's face instantly looked livelier.

Gelida was now 6 years old. She had been given more permission to go around the palace. Her mother was still strict, her disapproving glare following her.

Queen Azalea was a gray that seemed to blend into the ice, which always made Gelida wonder if her mother was stalking her.

Gelida decided to go to the greenhouse. It was hard to grow plants, since it was always frigid. Yet, some plants somehow managed.

She walked around, swishing her tail, and breathing in the pollen.

All of a sudden, she heard a crash across the garden. Gelida turned around quickly, preparing her frost breath, just in case.

"Who's there?! Show your self!" Gelida called out, opening her wings and showing her azure wings. Suddenly, a figure moved.

"S-sorry! I didn't mean to bother you! It's just so magical in here!" A dragonet about Gelida's age got up.

She had dark blue spikes on her head and across her back. Her body was a gray that almost looked blue. Yet the thing that caught Gelida's eye was her smile.

"Oh-I'm it's ok! Just be careful next time!" Gelida said, trying to hide her blush.

"Of course," the dragonet looked nervous. "My name is Polar, what's yours?" Her eyes immediately went to Gelida's necklace.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry. Gee I'm such a hare brain!" Polar bowed for Gelida.

I-is she bowing? Oh no what's happening?
"It's ok! You don't need to bow." Gelida said reassuringly. She noticed that Polar was in the 3rd circle.

"Oh, why thank you Princess Gelida," Polar relaxed a bit. "Between you and me, the pollen here doesn't bother me. I don't understand why it bothers other Icewings."

"Me too! It's very refreshing ." Gelida's heart raced, getting excited to finally have a friend.

"So she was just a friend?" Glacier interrupted. "Whoops! Sorry continue."

Gelida chuckled. "Well yes, she was my first friend. We hung out all the time. She eventually got to the 2nd circle, so my mother approved of her, as a friend..." Suddenly, Gelida went silent, looking into the distance.

"...and? Was she ok?" Glacier asked nervously.
Gelida sighed a big sigh. It was the type of sigh that makes anyone's heart ache with worry.

"She and I confessed our feelings for each other, but she was sent away when her parents were caught in some sort of scandal. I- I still miss her, but I know she isn't alive. I heard news of her death."

"Oh..." Glacier didn't know what to say.

"That's all, goodbye Glacie. Thank you for visiting!" Gelida smiled, yet Glacier knew it was a fake smile.

Glacier waved goodbye, walking away.
Poor Grandmother Gelida...
🦦🦦🦦