29: Enganged

[Follow-up to my other one shot, Masquerade]

Newt and Tina sat together on the swing, gazing at the stars above them. Tina snuggled against Newt, her head on his shoulder and he had an arm around her. They both felt immense happiness, the most they've felt in years. Finally, after ten years apart, they've reunited and have confessed their deepest feelings for each other. Nothing could be better.

"Newt?" Tina called.

"Yes, love?" Newt asked, looking down at her.

"Don't you think it's getting late?" Tina inquired, playing with Newt's hand that was laced with hers.

Newt glanced around the secret garden that they were in. The music from the ball was not that lively as it was a few minutes ago and the chatter had softened, mostly. "I suppose so," he replied.

At that, Tina lifted her head from his shoulder and proceeded to stand up, only to be pulled back down by Newt. "Newt!" Tina exclaimed. Newt laughed beside her and wrapped his arms around her. He buried his face in her neck.

"No," murmured Newt, "stay."

Tina giggled. "Newt, they might be wondering where we are." She tried to pry his arms off of her to no avail. Newt's arms only tightened themselves around her. Tina sighed. "Newt," she said sternly.

Newt sighed upon hearing her tone of voice. "Alright," he conceded. He gave her a peck on the cheek before removing his arms around her.

Tina smiled gratefully at him. They both stood up and fixed themselves, wanting to look respectable and decent before going back.

After fixing her skirts, Tina glanced at Newt who was having a bit of trouble straightening his bow tie. Tina smiled and offered to help. "Here, let me."

Newt watched as Tina fixed his tie with her slender fingers. Once she was done, he grabbed her hands almost immediately and pressed a soft kiss on each finger. He smiled triumphantly as he saw a soft blush creep onto her cheeks.

"I love you," he whispered, pressing his forehead against hers.

"I love you, too," came Tina's reply. Her eyes fell shut, savoring the moment. Newt sighed happily, tracing a finger on her cheek. How lucky he was to finally have her back.

Newt kissed her forehead and led her over to the table where their masks had laid forgotten. He took his Venetian mask, and as he was about to put it on, Tina shook her head and put his mask down.

"No," she said. "Let's not wear it anymore."

Newt raised a brow at this, confused. "Why?"

Tina smiled and gave a slight shrug. "Well, my little challenge has been completed." Newt smiled at that. "And I think everyone should know that I have found the man I want to spend the rest of my life with," she winked. She leaned in and pressed a chaste kiss on his lips.

Newt nodded in agreement with her explanation. Holding out his hand to her, he asked," Well, shall we head back to the ball, my love?"

Tina giggled and nodded." Yes, my prince," she replied teasingly. She held his hand and together, they navigated their way out of the maze.

When they arrived at the ball, they were met with many pairs of eyes looking right at them as soon as they stepped foot into the grand hall. Murmurs, gasps, and whispers erupted from everyone staring at them.

"Is that the princess?"

"Isn't that the younger Scamander?"

"Look, their hands! They're holding hands"